Featured Silver & glass cake stand, help with marks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by daveydempsey, Oct 21, 2022.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've just cleaned up this cake stand and I think the pedestal is silver.

Its possible this was brought in from the former Yugoslavia as the deceased fled the communist state in the 50's and settled in the UK.

It was difficult to photograph the marks and this is the best I have.
    I think one is an "L" another appears to be a Horses Head and I think I see 800.
    Any ideas.

cs1.jpg

cs2.jpg

cs4.jpg

cs5.jpg

Figtree3, Born2it, Boland and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Your photographs are good, Davey, with an in focus view of the marks.:)
    Yes, it is a horse's head, the Yugoslavian import mark for .800. So there is a Yugoslavian link, but it wasn't made in Yugoslavia.
    My guess is it was made in neighbouring Italy and exported to Yugoslavia.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Thanks AJ,
    The first two were with a camera, the second two were with a USB microscope as they were so tiny.

After some more cleaning, into the cabinet it goes :D

4. Any Jewelry

And it will do its best to impress.:)

Born2it likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oddly, the glass part looks American. Might well be - ships went both ways. American bright-cut crystal on a probable Italian base, exported into Yugoslavia (Austria-Hungary at the time?) and then chucked in a duffle and hauled to the UK. That thing got around.

Born2it, bercrystal and daveydempsey like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful piece.

Born2it and daveydempsey like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It is a pretty generic cut, which was also made in Europe. It may even have originated in Europe.
    Extremely unlikely, especially when Yugoslavia had a glass making tradition, and it had crystal and glass manufacturing regions of world fame to the west (Italy), and further north (Bohemia and Germany). The silver is likely Italian, the glass could be too.
    American glass and crystal are a local thing, and virtually unknown in Europe. Europe exported glass and crystal to America, not the other way around. Only Europeans who have lived in North America will have come across it.
    Yugoslavian marks were used in Yugoslavia, so they can't have been used in Austria-Hungary.;)
    Yugoslavia is a 20th century post-Austro-Hungarian nation name which means South Slavia, an independent geo-political union of several south Slavic nations and regions. This union began to fall apart in 1991.
    So Yugoslavian by definition means post-Austria-Hungary, post-Ottoman Empire, post Kingdom of Serbia, etc, etc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure when the marks changed over. The tazza still got around a bit though. I even saw a bit of Yugoslav glass here in the early 90s for a while, but the Chinese took over the market by the late 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted