Featured Silver mark on tiny brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Tiny little thing only 19mm across. Blue glass and marcasite. I can’t figure out the marks though, could they be French? This is the best pic I can get of them. Any ideas please on marks, where made and when. Thanks.
    96CF98CD-02E8-4FA9-9445-04465BA075F3.jpeg D3FC9279-B0E1-4FA2-9B5D-9BCC25272A5F.jpeg B3F026A6-4547-4F8E-9328-E778519E6DFB.jpeg

Hi2022, judy, Born2it and 6 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Here’s another, other way up.
    56D37FB3-C0B7-424F-96BD-36093E14FC1A.jpeg

Hi2022, judy, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is sweet, Houseful. French boar mark for .800 and lozenge shaped maker's mark?

Hi2022, judy, bercrystal and 7 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And late 19th.

Hi2022, judy, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Love love love!

Hi2022, judy, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  6. Houseful

Thanks to all for your info. It was £8 from a Charity shop, I splashed out a bit (for me) as I’m rebuilding my hoard as quite a bit of it has gone to Auction. Felt a bit better after buying something.

Hi2022, judy, anundverkaufen and 7 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You and I are cut from the same cloth! Anything more than £2 and I’m twitching, over a fiver and I need resuscitation :hilarious:
    I’m sure you will soon build up the hoard of lovelies again :)

stracci, Hi2022, judy and 8 others like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I refer to myself as a bottom feeder. ;)

stracci, Hi2022, judy and 7 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What a lovely little thing. Since kyratango didn't contradict AJ, you know she's spot on. The placement of the marks on the outside of the C clasp is also characteristic of French pieces. Even without the marks I would have guessed it was of French manufacture, just for the quality with which it is made. Looks to be in excellent condition, except maybe missing a single marcasite?

I have found some great things on the bottom.

Hi2022, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  10. Houseful

Yes, it is missing a marcasite Bronwen. I buy bits of costume with stones missing to repair better pieces like this one.
    I must confess I didn’t even see the silver marks when I bought it. I just thought it was silver and didn’t think to look on the catch.

Hi2022, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I second that emotion! Even if I know for a fact that it’s a good investment *and* a real bargain I start hyperventilating when things get to two digits… and outraged when anything (aside from jewelry) costs more than my first car.

Also, that’s a gorgeous piece, and while I’m very happy for you, I confess to a teensy bit of disappointment that it didn’t end up being a modern piece common enough that I could afford it :)

Hi2022, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

So glad you were able to find a little pretty!! :happy::happy:
    We are all cut from that cloth. ;):D

It comes from years of buying at thrifts, boot sales, charity shops & auctions at much less than retail costs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It pains us terribly to have to pay full price. :arghh::arghh::facepalm::bag::bag::bag:

However, if an opportunity presents itself I know I will pony up the money for something very special. Case in point. I stumbled across a listing on eBay a couple of days ago for a very unique c.1928 DeVilbiss atomizer. The bottle is tiny & sits inside a little brass stand. I bought a similar one back in 2012 & paid $225. I then found its brass stand back in 2020 & spent another $106. I looked just now & there are other watchers so I know I will have to pay more than the opening bid which is less than $25. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have never seen either bottle outside of photos in a catalog & judging by the price noted in the catalog there were not likely to have been sold in large quantities. The catalog price for it in 1928 was $30 which would be equal to $489 today. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I am surely hoping I can get it for much less than that though. :p:p:p:facepalm::facepalm:

Hi2022, komokwa, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  13. Houseful

Good luck with the Auction atomiser Bercrystal.

Hi2022, komokwa, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good luck! I saw a nice cameo today, one of the Floras... as someone else was buying it....(waahhhhh)

Hi2022, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious:

Hi2022, Ownedbybear and bercrystal like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, buying at thrifts, flea markets and yard sales has forever ruined me for shops :eek:

17. evelyb30

I'm a bit of a scrounge, when I'm not being a tightwad. I'll splash out if something's good enough, but....

18. Ownedbybear

On the rare ocasions I walk into a Real Shop (tm) , I spend most of my time uttering the immortal words " YOU WANT HOW MUCH? ARE YOU MAD? " Often followed by sod that, I can get it for less at a car boot sale.

19. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Just yesterday I clicked on an ad for a cute looking black ruffled skirt, only to find that it cost *more than ten times* what my first car cost, was mostly polyester, and - drum roll please - needed to be dry cleaned! :jawdrop::meh::shifty::vomit:

20. evelyb30

I haven't walked into a regular store in a few years. The only things I buy retail are shoes (I wear a USA 10.5/11 medium with a AAAA heel ... just try finding that.) and underwear. Other than that, rummage sales are the way to go.

crazycatlady and Hi2022 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted