Silver marks, crown

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fettan4, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have not even heard of it. Thanks for the tip!

2. Bakersgma

Does it also cover Canadians by chance?

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The description at the beginning states early American smith's,but by the mid 1700's there were many who moved back and forth between Canada and the states.As the pages show there have been many without an identified maker's mark.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Look at the very first post, if that ain't EP in a shield, sideways, I don't know what is!! The other pics are not clear, but this one is.

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

I see nothing in that shield that even appears to be a letter E or P. Looks like a badly stamped Kanji "letter".

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well I can lead a horse to water but ...

...even the OP said it was EP in a shield ...

cxgirl likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Blooey, is this what you're seeing as EP? (I see the P, but the E is sort of funky...)
    canadian maybe silver plate_LI.jpg

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

EPmark.jpg

Yes, that's the EP mark. Agreed funky but so is the crown and the backwards wombat and the thing that isn't a fleur de lys, but sorta looks like it could be. All plater's marks (English BTW) meant to sorta approximate hallmarks without actually being a hallmark - and let's be fair, it seems to have done it's job rather well if we go by this thread ...:wideyed:

cxgirl, DragonflyWink and SBSVC like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Similar marks have shown up on various silver forums many times - I see here Prince-of-Wales plume/beaver/crown/EP-in-shield, other than the beaver, all marks very common to British electroplate manufacturers (the crown not used after 1897). Would think John Sherwood & Sons of Birmingham the likely maker, but a quick scan through Silvercollection's English electroplate marks finds similar beavers used by Maxfield & Sons and Arthur E. Furniss, both of Sheffield, also one on a Harrod's piece (would guess belonging to the wholesaler), as well as one shown with the initials 'GH' under 'Unknown #1'.

http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverS.html

~Cheryl

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    blooey and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Well, I am glad to know that my original "plated" suspicion did eventually work out, but I did want to keep an open mind since my experience with Canadian marks has been limited.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

To clarify a bit, the entire fruit/lemon knife would be plated, probably over nickel silver on the handle (though Britannia metal is possible), and the blade likely steel, though some pieces were produced in all nickel silver or all steel. And while wombats are cute and chubby like beavers, they do not have big tails - here is a Maxfield & Sons mark with additional detail:

beavermark-maxfield-1.JPG

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

We didn't really think this animal was a wombat, in the old days we just said that to distinguish it from anything remotely like a hallmark ..kind of an "in" joke among my circle!

Oh and BTW, I have a group of 18 solid silver fruit knives (blades too) that are just stamped with a castle and B&G in an oval, that I bought for a dollar apiece. Thought to be plate by the antique dealer.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  13. Hollyblue

That would make the "EP" upside down on the shield.I have never seen anything inside a shield being upside down,maybe it isn't an "EP".

14. DragonflyWink

Not unusual for fruit knives to have silver blades - from the small bit you describe, perhaps 19th century German?

Doesn't look upside-down to me, looks like the top of the shield wasn't completely struck, just as one side of the plume mark on the left was poorly struck...

~Cheryl

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Indeed they are, German 19thc.:smug:

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted