Silver Plate not silver. Anyone know why the arrow though the Rogers & Bros A1 mark?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Sep 19, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Finally found a cheap lot of silver plated stuff online that actually contained over 50% coin silver. Much of it pre 1850 which is cool. Typically I’m not the one to find these. There was $200 melt value, with the antique value being higher. I paid much, much less. Anyways the Rogers Bros plated spoons in the lot have this arrow through them. Retailers mark maybe? Just curious, not so important really. 95D092CF-E13B-4F2B-B0E9-BA362009EA23.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This is just a guess. Notice that the XII is a larger font than the rest of the stamp? It *may* be that the intent was to cancel the A1 (meaning standard plating thickness) to substitute the XII (meaning sectional plate - where certain sections of the spoon most subject to wear, like the back of the bowl and handle tip - have more plating applied than the rest.)

I doubt the arrow it would work well as the retailer's mark.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. J Dagger

I did notice the XII seemed to be put on at a different time as well. Figured it had something to do with the arrow mark but didn’t know what. I was unaware of the sectional plating as a thing in general and the corresponding mark. That’s a theory that makes sense. They stamped some blanks with the A1 but needed them for another purpose. I can’t imagine that would add any value?

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't add value.

5. J Dagger

Didn’t think so, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted