Silver Salt and pepper shakers

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brian Bull, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

can anyone tell me where these are from and time period?

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could you post more pictures, also of the sides and bottom, and then click on full image: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/create-a-thread-pics.107/

Do the tops open, are they lids? They look like censers, incense burners, to me. Possibly Anglo-Indian/Burmese, but I, and others, could tell you more when you've posted more pictures.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd go with incense. Even Pot Pourri if larger than they look. Salt and pepper would fall out on streams, you;d have more condiment than food.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Always a good idea to include measurements when posting. Unless they're larger than they appear to my eye, they look like shakers to me - they are not a matched pair and may have been the pepperettes from condiment sets that would have included an open salt and covered mustard. Not unusual for Indian silver to be unmarked, would guess these are from Kutch, probably late 19th century...

Harish Patel has an excellent site on Colonial Indian silver:

http://silverfromindia1850-1920.blogspot.com/?m=1

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Wonderful Cheryl, I regularly see beautiful Colonial Indian silver at online auctions, and have been looking for more information.

6. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

I'm posting from my IPhone. It won't allow me to upload photos greater then 1mb, unless I'm doing something wrong. I have more photos but having trouble uploading them.

7. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

8. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

9. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

I don't believe the tops open. The bottoms do unscrew. I do not see any marks on either shaker. They do not appear to be a matching set? Do you think they are from the area or time period?

10. Any Jewelry

I think they are Middle Eastern censers. They come in all shapes and materials. Oman is famous for them and even has an 'incense burner monument':

[​IMG]

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

12. Any Jewelry

Cheryl, you are a genius. There is no stopping you, but who would want to:D.
    They must be spilling a lot of salt in Kutch...

komokwa and Brian Bull like this.
  13. Brian Bull

Brian Bull New Member

Cheryl,

THANK YOU! I was having a hard time finding similar pieces! You're the best!

Thanks again
    Brian

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted