Silver scrap and let's play a game!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Nov 26, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone,

Tried my hand at some stores today, and came up with a tiny pile of scrap below. PS: If you'd like to play a game, scroll past the first three images:

IMG_2679.jpg IMG_2680.JPG IMG_2681.JPG

It's once again game time! This game is pretty straight forward, but I want to give some of the less experienced silver hunters a chance to respond also. So here's the rules:

Take a look at the photos below. See if you can identify a clue or clues that might indicate something in the photos could be silver. If you find a clue, for now just respond with something like "i found it" or "i see it" and once a few folks have a chance to respond I'll tell you what happened:

IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG IMG_2676.JPG IMG_2677.JPG new-1.jpg IMG_2678.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    cxgirl likes this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Found one positive clue and one negative clue :happy:

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I never know how to tell silverplate from silver, so I'm just going to watch. :p

Christmasjoy, KikoBlueEyes and MrNate like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Clueless as usual.

MrNate likes this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's totally okay too!

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Zoom in on the images available, use your "silver sense" ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

nice group you found today Mr Nate:)

I found one clue - I'm really hoping those bowls are sterling for you, they are gorgeous:)
    I think I found another clue, will find out when the reveal happens:)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    judy, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I already ordered 'something'....The original listing had a bunch of items in the main photo, but the seller took down the original posting before I could save the photos. I wanted to have a game where people first identified what looked interesting based on the photos and then provided these photos afterwards. The items are supposed to arrive on Saturday when I'll get confirmation if my guess/gamble was correct.

judy, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

PS: when i messaged the buyer about those three bowls, he specifically stated "they don't have any markings on them" ;)

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

fingers crossed for you:)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Since the ones at the top are marked as plate.... Any time a mark says "Silver company" it's generally a producer of silverplate. No marks at all along with the tarnish pattern on the fancy pattern bowls is enough to make me wonder.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That's what I saw too, the label made me think plate. Definitely going to watch this thread.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I zoomed and looked and zoomed and looked. I feel like I did on the boat in the Okefenokee Swamp where everyone could see the owl in the tree but me. They kept pointing and all I could see was the Spanish moss. I'll try to channel you and look again tomorrow.

MrNate, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you for the fun conversation. And I'll start by saying I don't actually know for certain if I got something made of real silver. Very often I'm making purchases based on limited information: get enough information to make a decision...ask for too much information and I probably don't get to make a purchase.

So hopefully you saw some items that aren't very interesting and some that are definitely interesting. And I'll say that the first thing I had to do was identify these three bowls out of an original photo that had 3 teapots, a tray, a bunch of silverware and other bowls. The art of finding things online is looking for the "oddball" among the bunch. Most of the listings I look at aren't full of real silver, they are "sprinkled" with real silver surrounded by junk. So the first thing that caught my eye and got me asking for more photos was the quality of work on the three bowls. I'm quite certain it's hand worked (which of course could be plated also) and it appears for the large bowl someone took a great amount of care to make it.

The second clue I noticed: the edge of the bowl looked really familiar to me in style in technique. I had to go digging to find it, but in October of last year I found a large 800 silver bowl and I remembered distinctly that it had the same edge. Here's a photo of the bowl I found last year:

IMG_5448.JPG

And with the bowl I found last year I remembered the mark was stamped on the front middle. I'm guessing this is a common practice in certain parts of the world. So with that information I asked the seller if they could provide me a few extra photos of some items (the photos you saw above). I tried to attach a high resolution photo as a clue, but I couldn't due to the image size restriction on the forum. Here's a close up of what I saw that got me excited:

CLOSE.jpg CLOSE2.jpg CLOSE3.jpg

Now what the heck am I looking at????? Well, maybe I'm looking at nothing, and I'll be the first to admit it and eat my humble pie. I gamble on silver and lose from time to time, but I think I've got these correct. What you might notice in all three of these photos is a little stamp/mark near the edge of the circle for each bowl. I'm just guessing at this stage, because I can't make out the mark, but I think they are 830 purity silver. I'm just guessing on what they actually say, because even zoomed in it's fairly blurry. So here's all the clues that lead me to make a purchase without certainty of what I'm getting:

1. Tone of the silver, especially the photo of the back of the large bowl. The way that cracks and crevices are tarnishing at a different rate than flat surfaces on the bowl is always a good indicator to me.

2. Level of care/level of skill to make the large bowl

3. A small clue, but not insignificant: the fact that the maker created a finished satin base instead of leaving it polished like the rest of the piece. A subtle but relevant clue about care and quality.

4. The fact that all three bowls have these little marks in the same location.

I'm hopeful I'm right, but I'll be the first to admit if I got this one wrong. It should be arriving after the weekend and then I'll know for sure. For those interested, round 2 of the guessing game is coming up below!

Figtree3, cxgirl and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Here's round 2. Full disclosure on this guessing game, I don't actually know much yet about this listing, I'm still interacting with the seller, but I have a hunch about something in the photos. So, round 2: Based on the photos below, try to pick 2 items that you would inquire further with the buyer. Feel free to share your observations and opinions on items that could be interesting, and items that we should skip (sharing your reasoning on why we should skip an item is really helpful too!):

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. evelyb30

Pilgrim made plate, so they're out. Any time you see those big thick carry handles it's generally plated. I found one once with a real handle, but the base was glass, and the handle snapped. (it was cheap silver) The top candy dish is plated for certain, and the three-shell one too. I've seen that mark before, accompanied by the dreaded "90". That leaves the vegetable bowl and the single shell dish. The latter has always been plate when I've found one, but the earliest iterations may have been legit. I'd check the two of them if they popped up in an estate sale. My last big chunks of scrap looked about as promising.

Figtree3 and MrNate like this.
  17. evelyb30

The tray? I'd need to see the back. If it has those big thick feet, fuggedaboutit. If not I'd want a closer look.

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

I see the mark now. Duh!

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Well most of it looks plate to me but most of the photos aren't clear enough to tell much.

I have a very similar shell marked sterling. It's about 5" across and has little ball feet.
    img20191127_141718.jpg img20191127_141625.jpg

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great guesses for those of you who tried round two. @evelyb30 your guesses were truly wonderful. I focused on the oval basket and the shell. I haven't gotten any photos back on the shell, but here's what the seller sent me for the oval basket. Here's what I'm a bit confused about:

The maker is clearly Frank M. Whiting, and there might be a sterling mark somewhere else on the basket, but what would be the odds that this would be plated based on what you see? I'm aware of Whiting making a bit of silverplate, but my understanding is the vast majority of whiting stuff is sterling. I tried to look up the basket and no luck yet.

rec.jpg rec2.jpg

judy and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted