Silver sugar & creamer - help needed identifying - ugh!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by AnchoredVintage, Jul 3, 2021.

1. AnchoredVintage

AnchoredVintage New Member

Hi -

I am being told these were used in 1881 by a family member, but I swear this is Towle's lion in a T that was not used until 1890. I have a photo here of the pieces and of the bottom hallmarks.

Maker?
    Pattern?

I am not sure of the pattern name, but would seriously love some help with identifying the maker. I don't know what the 1810 is - if it is a pattern number, help, and then what is the Old English-type letter by it?

Thank you, one and all! sugar creamer maker's mark.jpeg sugar and creamer.JPG

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Moved to Silver Forum.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is absolutely Towle's lion in a T. Hollow ware often has no pattern name, just the number, until into the 20th century when "pattern names" became a thing and manufacturers added coordinated holloware to the flatware lines.

1810 is the inventory number for the piece it's on. The letter looks like an Old English G.

As family stories often go, the one about the sugar and creamer being used before 1890 is probably mistaken.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

As already said, it is Towle, and the 'lion-in-T' trademark was not in use until 1890, Towle didn't start production of hollowware until the same year, the Gothic 'G' indicates 'Gilt', appears to still be a bit of the original gilding remaining on the interior. Family histories are often a bit garbled, even just completely wrong at times...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted