Featured Silver Visiting Card(?) Case - Possibly American ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jul 21, 2022.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

As the price was right, I've just purchased this silver case that was perhaps used to hold visiting or business cards. However, it's not the sort of thing I normally collect.
    It measures c.5cm x 8cm and is quite heavy at 137g. Under a 10x loupe, the miniature appears to be hand painted, as opposed to a print. The white side panels have puzzled me a bit - they might be bone or maybe even ceramic(?). Under magnification, tiny black dots or pitting are visible in the white. The rear of the case has what appears to be machine engraving. I'm no expert, but the case does appear to be of quite decent quality.

Anyway, to get to the point. I'm a bit puzzled by the marks on the interior of the case.
    There is an Austrian .835 silver hallmark dating from 1922 to 1953, according to my research. However, there are also the initials BF and the word STERLING 835. I always believed (perhaps wrongly?) that the word sterling was usually found on American or Canadian silver.
    Might anyone be able to suggest who the maker 'BF' could be, and whether the case could have originally have been made in the USA (or some other country) and then exported to Austria ?

Any help appreciated !!!!!

P1070676.JPG P1070700.JPG P1070687.JPG P1070693.JPG P1070681.JPG

Aquitaine, kyratango, stracci and 7 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Nice, certainly looks Austrian and if your research is right, then it's going to be at the earlier end of the dating. Are you sure it's not 935 which would fit with sterling (835 is too low), sterling is 925, but I have seen 935 and 950 continental pieces stamped sterling in the past.

Sides are likely enamel and yes, engine turning for the back.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful!
    Yes, wrongly.:playful:
    As Ce said, 'sterling 835' is a bit odd.
    In that case it would have had an Austrian import mark.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you show us the marks or do you not have it hand yet?

15Stiftgasse and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. 15Stiftgasse

Thank you for your prompt replies !!
    I've checked the marks again and yes, you are right - it says 935, not 835. Please accept my apologies.
    Unfortunately my camera is unable to do close ups of things as small as hallmarks - all I get is a blur.
    So - it looks like an Austrian box, probably from the 20's or 30's.
    I think I'll hang on to this one - for the moment, anyway !

Once again, thanks for your replies, which are very much appreciated.

P1070690.JPG

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, that would appear spot on. The BF may be a makers mark, or importers mark as AJ mentioned. It's not common but I have seen items like this marked sterling in the past, also may be to do with export.

The silver will shine up a treat if you want to do so, it's also a relatively valuable item, the painting looks high quality and of a nice sentimental subject. Keep safe to ensure no damage occurs to the white enamel as this adversely affects the value and can quite easily chip if knocked.

7. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks for the information and advice, BCA. The interior still has it's gold plating. although it is difficult to see this in the photo. The exterior, however, is a silver colour - presumably due to wear. As it may be worth somewhat more than the few Euros I paid, it's already found a home in the vitrine - as testament to one of my few better financial investments !

8. Any Jewelry

Major German makers used to make pieces in several finenesses, for export to different countries. Some would also stamp 'sterling', if applicable. It is quite possible that major Austrian makers did the same.

15Stiftgasse and Ce BCA like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

:woot: - major score.

The exteriors were often just left as silver, so it is most likely original rather than worn.

kyratango and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DANG I think the OP found the goods! I'd say the outside was never plated too. It would have the Sterling mark if made for export. Whoever was in the op shop/brocante/??? was asleep at the switch.

Aquitaine, kyratango and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, what a lovely box! You have found a treasure.

Aquitaine, kyratango and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  12. 15Stiftgasse

Once again, thank you all sincerely for your help !

This morning I have finally managed to find a very similar card case on the net. The initials BF stand for Brüder Frank (the Frank brothers). Please see attached pic.

Screenshot (224).png

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not sure what is holding the painting up. But at first glance I thought it was a microwave and not a painting.

14. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    I had to look twice as well, but the case is flipped open, so the metal you see is actually the bottom of the case.:playful:

15. evelyb30

Glad to see I wasn't the only one!

16. 15Stiftgasse

Sorry to bother you, but I have one final question.
    On what material is the miniature likely to be painted (eg card, wood, ivory, bone, etc.) ?
    The thing is, I don't wish to knowingly have ivory items amongst my small collection of antique bits and bats. Despite it's beauty and quality, I would rather dispose of it asap rather than hang onto something just because it is valuable or desirable.
    I would be much obliged for your expert opinion !!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. evelyb30

1. Good question and
    2. Not a clue. Could be bone, ivory, metal, thin wood....?

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted