Silverplate Drinking-Glass Holder(?) with Simple but Unknown Mark

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Jun 12, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I really don't know what to properly call this receptacle. Several of my antique glass tumblers fit it well enough to use, but I wonder what it was made to hold, whether glass or porcelain, or ?

The mark should present light work for y'all, and will perhaps illuminate that question.

Of particular interest is the illustration in the last pic...various rockets or spacecraft, the crescent moon, lots of stars...and at the bottom, a really odd rocket, and foliage with berries. All the other 5 rockets appear to have been launched from that building (for want of a more accurate term).

What's it all mean, Alfie?

fullsizeoutput_9562.jpeg fullsizeoutput_955f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9560.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9561.jpeg

lovewrens likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Yup! I've learned that the item is perhaps a Copper alloy, Melchior, a surprise...and that it predates the end of USSR. The thing that looks like Sputnik certainly is, and the rest of them are representatives of actual Soviet spacecraft. I'll look for a glass of the appropriate height to fit it. Thanks, all of you!!