Silverplate question ... even my mother is stumped!

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by LaneAcadia, Jul 7, 2018.

1. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

My mother grew up in a VERY proper home where there was a silver dish or utensil for every conceivable use, and even she's at a loss here. :D

This was a Goodwill find that I picked up because the combination of Reed & Barton, Sheffield, and silverplate on copper seemed like it would be worth more than the $3.99 marked price. I thought it would be easy to ID because of the stock or pattern number on the bottom, and because I figured it shouldn't be more than about 40-45 years old (based on the back stamp).

Instead, this piece has sent me on a wild goose chase for days. I've searched patterns, stock numbers, and probably two dozen types of pieces (compote, cake stand, pedestal dish, etc., even some that probably aren't "real" terms), and still haven't found a single match. My husband and I even looked to make sure the pedestal didn't appear to have been soldered on later or something. I've come across one or two Reed & Barton or Sheffield pieces with a similar lattice-style pierced edge (both gallery trays, I think), but no actual matching patterns or pieces. I don't know how to begin to estimate the value if I don't even know what the heck this is, LOL.

No worries if it's not authentic; I didn't have much invested, obviously. ;) But I'd still like to know if I have something unusual or hard-to-find vs. something fake or just generally undesirable.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sorry to hear about your Mom !! :hilarious:

LaneAcadia likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any question of its authenticity. I suspect they used a numbering system unique to the production in Sheffield, which may explain why you can't find another. Not sure whether their Sheffield goods were just for the UK market or were sent over to the US. Definitely after 1957 (last year of date codes.) Personally I would call it a pedestal compote. There are other modern production compotes with the same pedestal. With the circular depression, it may have had a bowl insert. How wide are the upper part and the inner circle?

LaneAcadia likes this.
  4. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Luckily, I don't think it's done her any permanent damage. :p

Thank you! That all makes sense. A pedestal compote sounds better and more logical than anything I've come up with, although I did wonder if there was a glass insert at some point. The depression almost seemed the right diameter for the bottom of a pie plate, but the overall shape looks wrong, and I can't say I've ever seen a pie plate with a pedestal. From rim to rim measures 10.5", and the depression is 7.75" inches across.

I'm glad to know that it appears authentic, too. So it would probably be fair to say it's an unusual piece, at least in terms of the U.S. market? I don't want to misrepresent anything if I decide to sell it later on.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

May not have been a big seller. Seems they actually called the UK production their "Sheffield Collection" so you might want to include those as keywords if you plan to keep looking. I wouldn't call it "unusual" as a selling point. Stress its useful qualities. I bet it would come in handy for a buffet dinner. ;)

Jeff Drum and komokwa like this.
  6. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Great advice, thank you! You've been most helpful. :shame:

komokwa likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

You're most welcome, Lane.

LaneAcadia likes this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Is it a tazza?
    Patd

LaneAcadia likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Comport or tazza to me.

LaneAcadia likes this.
  10. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

That was one term I didn't think of searching under. Thank you!!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You didn't say what the diameter is; I'd have been thinking pie server right off the bat, with that shape. They used to make some smaller pie plates too - about 7 inches, in addition to the standard 8s and 9s. If it's the right size, polish it up and use it at Thanksgiving. Those are standard American sizes anyway.