silverplated? d&a bowl

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by silvershadow, May 24, 2017.

1. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

silverplate 001.jpg silverplate 002.jpg silverplate 003.jpg Hello! Any info about this item will be most helpful. From my research it seems that the D&A trade mark at the bottom belongs to Daniel&Arter - a company from late 19th and beginning of 20th century, but there is also number 8983 and I have no idea what it means. I also wonder what this bowl was/is used for? I will appreciate any help!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Size would be useful, but if it is quite small it may well be a bonbon dish

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The number would be the pattern number. Here's what Rainwater's book Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufactures, p. 54 says about Daniel & Arter.

"Daniel and Arter Globe Nevada Silver Works
    Birmingham, England
    The Daniel and Arter Globe Nevada Silver Works produced great quantities of flatware bearing their trademarks and various tradenames which included the word 'silver.' These terms refer to alloys, none of which contain any silver, though some were plated with it.
    Aluminum Silver
    Argenline
    Burmaroid
    Indian Silver
    Japanese Silver
    Laxey Silver
    Nevada Silver"

Pics of their trademarks followed. Following is a link to what replacements.com has on Daniel and Arter:
    http://www.replacements.com/silver/dla.htm

--- Susan

4. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Thank you very much for your answers! I apologize that I didn't post the diameter, but rhiwfield is right - it's small, about 11.5 cm. Susan, thank you for your link, but with this Nevada silver and so on I am a little confused - D&A was a British or an American producer?
    I have two more questions. Could you please tell me if it is good idea to try to polish by some way the bowl or not and what do you think could be it's estimated price?

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Daniel and Arter were British, but Rainwater, despite the book title, did include some non-US makers whose wares are commonly found in the US.

Ladybranch likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Silvershadow!! Your images will show MUCH better if you post them FULL SIZED.......a quick tutorial is below!!! Thanks!!!

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

7. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Thank you for info Bakersgma, it's much clearer now.
    Aquitaine, thank you for the welcome note. I edited my first post and I hope that it's better now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    I will appreciate any other help!

8. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Really?! Nobody can help me in pricing this item or maybe you think that it's priceless? :)

9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Were it mine, I would be happy to get five or ten dollars for it. Most likely it would not sell for me.

10. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Thanks, terry! In your opinion is it make sense to try to clean/polish that?

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It looks like white metal - tin zinc mix. Silverplate comes off of that pretty easily.

12. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

I understood! Thanks a lot, I appreciate!