Featured Silverware sort nearly complete...a few mysteries remain

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marko, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

So this is what I sorted and put in cases today. I combined patterns (labeled) to make use of space. Still have singles to identify.
    20220801_195930.jpg
    1. 20220801_200158.jpg
    20220801_200218.jpg
    20220801_200232.jpg
    20220801_200249.jpg

3. 20220801_200322.jpg

20220801_200315.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow! Are those all sets?

The last 2 are the unpatented "Threaded Oval" design. Not sure what the WT in a circle stands for.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

#3 is Cordova circa 1898

Haven't found any of the others yet, but can you see any marking on #2?

5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you, the marks on #2 are hopelessly worn.

pearlsnblume and say_it_slowly like this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Most are partial sets. One double-drawer chest houses Kings pattern, different companies, started when my uncle gave me fouled anchor silverplate from the USN. Most of the pieces I added to it don't have the fouled anchor. There is one huge set, grape pattern, I combined the pieces from two finds.

bercrystal and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT'S some stash of silverware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAVING a dinner party, are you???????!!!!!:playful::playful::playful:

pearlsnblume and say_it_slowly like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

say_it_slowly, Bakersgma and Marko like this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I found two more sets this morning. Louisiane is only missing one salad fork.
    Triumph needs two knives. You know my first love is jewelry, but I have also picked up silverplate over the years very cheap. Now it's expensive here, thrifts sell to dealers. Got a lot of sets at yard sales and thrifts. Individual pieces used to be 20-25 cents.
    20220802_103343.jpg
    20220802_102636.jpg
    I love the grille set forks.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I love old patterns in silver! When one of my daughters got married I acquired enough silver plate and sterling in wonderful condition to serve 110 people. Afterward I sold some of the silver plate at a flea market but haven't watched prices though I should. I veered off and acquired more sterling instead:D

bercrystal, Bakersgma and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I would acquire sterling if I could find it.... the last I saw was in a dealer's booth, $55 per flatware piece. I know a couple whose dining room table is an old door. They use mismatched flatware, linens, glassware, dishes, etc., when entertaining. The final result is amazing.

I am not on this board often because my favorite thing to find is jewelry. I also look for vintage linens, perfumes, teapots, vintage clothing, mostly coats and purses. I love the patterns on old flatware, and I have fun looking them up. This board is a godsend when I need help. I am certainly a novice here.

bercrystal likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was in the local ReStore today and one guy brought over two boxes of probable silverplate. Or was it sterling? Probably not, but there might have been some mixed in. I'll probably never know.(sigh) Sterling disappears and all that goes out is plated stuff.

Marko and bercrystal like this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was in a thrift store yesterday, and a volunteer was heading towards the clothing racks with an Irish wool sweater, so I followed her. It went into a dressing room which she locked and when she came out she said "you should see my pile today!" Nice. I guess volunteering at a thrift shop may be in my retirement future, but at least I would be quiet about "making a pile."

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here, at least in front of customers! They allow a local "volunteer" to enter the store before it opens, even though he doesn't volunteer in the store. Chaps my behind no end. I get there to line up to get in when the open, and then stand there and watch someone else buy everything I wanted. ( grrrrr)

Marko likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted