Featured Silvery Glass Leaves on French ? Frosted Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 1, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This vase from the reseller's treasures is supposed to be French. There is an indecipherable (to me) mark on the inside of the base. The fascinating piece is the silver colored clear glass leaves that are arranged along the top. I've never seen anything like this, but I hope someone will recognize this effect. There are four seams that stop at a ring of glass along the top. I think this is to give the effect of a basket. It is 6 1/2 inches tall and six inches in diameter at the top. The vase is mostly lightly frosted except for the leaves and the bracts. Does anyone recognize the maker or can give me search terms? Any help appreciated.

IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0071.jpg IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0063R.jpg

dude, Bronwen, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I don't recognise the work, but the term you are looking for is 'iridescent' or 'iridescence'.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Silver birch leaves with catkins.

Moulded, and that's almost an aurora borealis irridescence, which is sometimes compared to petrol on water.

I think it's fairly post WW2. Might be Barolac but it could equally be Czech or even German, someone like Walther Glas.

dude, KSW, i need help and 7 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Ce Thanks for the information. These terms are so helpful when I try to track down a piece. Thank you.

dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pictures showing a slight purplish hue.....pretty!!!

dude, KSW, pearlsnblume and 1 other person like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

As usual, you are spot on. I was so excited when I saw your post, I went searching immediately and I found the vase who the seller identified as Barolac. They even had a maker's number of 614. If the Best Answer worked you would get one! :D:kiss::D:kiss::D:kiss::happy::kiss:

il_340x270.1372465190_8nle.jpg

Barolac Inwald Vase 614 Birch Leaves Purple Wash | Etsy

dude, KSW, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. It was pretty unexpected and subtle. I read it as silver, but you are right it is purple. Thank you.

dude, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Here is a confirming site with detail that this is a Josef Inwald Barolac Vase. It gives some dates, which show @Ownedbybear was right on.

"The vase was produced by Josef Inwald as part of the Barolac line for John Jenkins & Son (introduced circa 1935). The vase has a striking Art Deco inspired design featuring Birch leaves and catkins heavily embossed on the clear ground. The décor is highlighted with a lavender wash which adds nice contrast. The vase measures 6 3/8" high and 6" high at the top rim. The piece is in excellent condition with no damage or water staining (there are some typical tiny submerged air bubbles in the wall). This circa 1948-1952 Barolac Birch vase would make a fun addition to your collection of vintage Czech (Rudolfova Hut) art glass or Art Deco inspired décor."

Czech Josef Inwald Barolac Birch Leaves & Catkins Deco Art Glass MCM Vase | eBay

dude, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

You sure have purchased some purty items from the reseller.

Aquitaine, dude and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

There you go. Barolac is sometimes called poor man's Lalique, which is unfair as it's lovely glass. Some of the pre war stuff, which I tend to call Bohemian, is actually marked as Barolac.

dude, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

This is his personal collection of 24 years that he is not taking with him that I have been able to go through. I wish I had more money to spend, but he is giving me good prices.

dude, pearlsnblume and KSW like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I couldn't find a Barolac mark but maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I am not a glass snob, and I am very happy with this wonderful piece. You are wonderful too!

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Late to the party here but it’s a very pretty piece. Lovely colours and great that OBB could identify it for you :)

14. KikoBlueEyes

It sure grows on you. It’s far more complex that first meets the eye. That OBB is something else. I think she has glass in her veins.

dude and Ownedbybear like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

And jewellery, and pottery and just about anything else you can mention.
    I suspect it is also in her spare room, her dining room and her shed :hilarious:

dude and Ownedbybear like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Don’t forget about her attic and basement :)

dude likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

I also have a storage unit.

Oops.

dude, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

19. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

20. KikoBlueEyes

I love it. More information! Explains the lack of the Barolac mark.

This vase was designed in Czechoslovakia at the Josef Inwald glassworks. They made beautiful Bohemian glass that was originally imported to England under the name "Barolac". From research it appears that the vase was designed at Inwald's Rudolfova Hut Glassworks. The vase has very detailed purple washed birch leaves and catkins that circle the satin surface. The vase was molded and then hand finished. The purple is an applied color, rather than color within the glass. I understand that this is not a very common pattern. . . . It is unsigned. Inwald used finishing techniques similar to the French glassmakers."
    Thank you so much for this!

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted