Featured Singer 66 Hand-Crank Sewing Machine (1919)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

So.

Like.

I picked up this thing, right? And it's heavy as all hell? And I lugged it home...like...literally lugged it home...humped it back along the road for four or five solid blocks. This was just yesterday, and my arms and shoulders are now torturing me without mercy for daring them to do stuff.

Anyhoo...

6601.jpg
    The huge-ass (12-inches-long) tailors shears came with the machine. I spent all of this morning wrestling and fighting with them, and FINALLY pulled them apart...

shears01.jpg
    Since I had absolutely NO desire to try and clean these things by hand, I filled a basin with loads of vinegar, and crushed salt, and so far, have left them in there for three and a half hours. The colour of the vinegar-bath is a testament to how much rust has been scrubbed and washed off the surface of the metal so far...

shears02.jpg
    This is after three and a half hours in the vinegar bath, and some light scrubbing...

shears03.jpg

I changed the vinegar for some fresh stuff, and tossed in more salt, and put them back in for another soaking. Will check back again in another few hours, and then leave them overnight, if necessary.

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Shangas

Before...

shears01.jpg
    Five hours later:

shears04.jpg

Still letting them soak away. Will check on them again when I go to bed.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Took the paint off the handles too, looks like.

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Shangas

The paint was already off the handles. What you're seeing is the rust.

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That machine took some mastering!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Jet

Jet Still learning how to dance in the rain...

Those sheers will definently take more soaking, lol. I've picked up some Singer machines in the past in far worse condition, being attracted by the decal artwork alone. Yours looks pretty clean. You may already know, but just in case, should you decide to brighten up the machines finish, sewing machine oil on a cotton ball, or more painstakingly with a Q tip safely cleans the finish.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Shangas

The shears are done. I'm gonna send them off to be sharpened. The machine is up and running. I'm waiting for the good word from some friends about some extra parts.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  8. Shangas

I do know how to overhaul a sewing machine. I've done dozens of them.

Bronwen and Jet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted