Sitzendorf potpourri urn with a mystery symbol

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jwheatley88, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Jwheatley88

Jwheatley88 New Member

I recently posted another antique for feedback from the local experts, and was guided in a very helpful direction. This is another piece I recently inherited from my great grandmother, via another family member. I'm mostly interested in confirming when and where this piece originated, to gain further insight into my great grandmother's travels. I'm not planning on selling it, but if you know the worth, I wouldn't be opposed to hearing a value.

The following is information I've cobbled together thus far from my web search:

- I believe it to be a Sitzendorf ceramic potpourri urn, potentially made between 1902-1918, based on the style of the crown stamp on the base (this could very well be incorrect, and I suspect it might be due to some finishings, such as the holes in the cherubs' backs). I wasn't able to find an exact replica online, though it seems to be a less-detailed/lower quality version of this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Dr...ied-Flowers-Pot-Pourri-Urn-Vase-/224025434392

- I find it interesting that the floral pattern at the centre of the urn appears almost to be unfinished. Especially as many of the urns I viewed online had much more elaborate floral 'centre peices'.

- There is however, an interesting impression on the base which looks like a number 9 with another symbol next to it. My online searches haven't come up with anything about that unfortunately; do you know what this symbol indicates?

I'd appreciate any further insight, and I'll update this post as I find out more.

Once again, thanks for all of your patience, as you can clearly see I am a novice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Christmasjoy and bercrystal like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

VERY PRETTY !!! ... and WELCOME to Antiquers ... Joy. :)

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Believe the number is upside down and 46.
    Could be a shape/style number
    The "V" might be the decorator's initial/mark

[​IMG]

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted