Slush Casting Antiques: "A Hollow Casting Art"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by production-engineer, Jul 22, 2023.

1. Recently came across a process called the "slush casting process" used extensively to produce hollow art pieces, statues and antiques. This process also has industrial applications but I am limiting the discussion to hobbyists.

The process consists of pouring molten metal (liquid metal) into the mould (mould is a metal block which has a cavity in which molten/hot metal is poured to give shape to the casting) and draining out metal once a thin layer of metal is solidified around the mould wall producing thin beautiful casting.

Here is an article about the Slush Casting Process For Producing Hollow Casting Such As Antiques

Have anyone used this special casting process to produce any casting?

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Tried accessing your link. I don't know why but I couldn't bring it up. Maybe a problem on my end?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I've been a patternmaker since 1985 and owned my own shop between 1999 - 2007. Did most of our work for Elyria Foundry. We used to make metal molds for thin walled plastic pieces forming similar type plastic pieces. The process was called "Roto-Molding". The "Slushcasting" process you speak of was only used by small foundries in our area that produced one off and low run pieces.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sounds very much like the slipcast method used in ceramics.

I used to work for a plastics molding company. Among other things, they made those really big bins on wheels in what was called the "rock-and-roll" machine. Liquid plastic was injected into the mold and then the machine would twist and turn this way and that so that the plastic flowed over and coated the inside of the mold.

5. There is no issue in the link and it is not a dangerous webpage for sure. I have submitted it to norton they will check it out. Because I have no issue with it. I am trying to solve this issue as this is really rare issue for that site. It is an educational website.

6. Thanks for the insight. Is this process still used for making an art craft? I have seen a silicone version of it. I think they make jewellery with it.

Btw Rayo56 can you pls remove the early message (reply) which consists of the link in there, I am trying to solve the issue with them by mailing them. I think only norton users are having this issue.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, my Norton Security considers it a malicious site and blocks it...

~Cheryl

production-engineer likes this.
  8. Yeah mould used in there , were they pre-heated?

9. There is no issue on the site I swear atleast from my end. I have no issue opening it. Maybe it's just the north. But I have mailed them about it. Sorry for incovnence.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I didn't work the machine, but the heating and cooling would have been critical to the production process.

11. okay this is just great.

12. Yes I have submitted them and they will solve the issue. There is some issue from norton side.

13. I have submitted this to Norton and they will review it and get it solved. Thanks for the feedback and for the inconvenience to everyone.

14. Agree on this one. It actually makes the process bit slower giving less production output. What do you think?

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know how many pieces a person could produce in a shift. Not many, I should think, but they were big pieces and fairly expensive I imagine. This was all before computers, but you can bet the production was as automated as could be managed. There was one operator for the machine and a safe bet that the heavy physical labor was ensuring the supply of plastic and extracting the finished piece. As I said: it wasn't a job I did, so I'm not certain on the specifics. It was also a machine removed from the other production equipment, probably for the space required. It was in a portion of the building otherwise used for warehousing. The building was divided into warehousing and production areas. In that facility the other production was massive (to me) injection molders that produced garbage cans.

16. Agree with you. It would be heavy physical labour. In my study in the majority of developed countries heavy work is replaced by machines. But still in underdeveloped where the sector is not organized work is still done by humans. Nice to learn something from you. Thank you for your contribution. Have a nice day sir.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted