Featured Small aqua jar & Pot handle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Niczn, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Niczn

Niczn Member

I found both of these locally (UK, Yorkshire), they were both quite the surprise given what usually washes up on the banks. The small jar has an "F" on the bottom which is raised slightly, no other markings visible.

The pot handle has some details but no other specific markings etc, could it potentially be roman? I can post more photos if required.

IMG_6894.jpg IMG_6895.jpg IMG_6896.jpg IMG_6898.jpg IMG_6899.jpg IMG_6900.jpg IMG_6902.jpg IMG_6903.jpg IMG_6905.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Pix are great. We prefer them full size, not as thumbnails. You can still edit your post & change to full size under More Options.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Niczn

Niczn Member

Done, any input on the item itself?

4. Niczn

Niczn Member

Done, any input on items?

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The second one looks like a medicine bottle that has undergone the color change that can happen with weathered glass. I can imagine the handle & jar shoulder as belonging to an antiquity, but don't know anything like enough to tell.

Aquitaine, Boland and sabre123 like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bottle looks like a nineteenth century smelling salts one.

I think the jug is more mediaeval or a bit later. Handle and clay look wrong for Roman and it’s salt glazed.

I’d contact the local finds officer at the PAS, they’re pretty helpful.

Niczn, kentworld, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If you have access to someone that is familiar with local finds (PAS?) that is the best of all worlds. I can't really help much and being in the US, not much Roman pottery around here, or medieval for that matter. Someone may have a lot better info to offer.

Looking at the curve of the pot under the handle might give a clue as to the general type of pot. Just browsing my things, the closest I think I have clay color and salt-glaze wise is a late 19th C German stoneware water bottle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some handle examples, the left center jug also appears similar color-wise though it's somewhat iridescent with a flattened handle. It's earlier, I'd have to look up what I know about that one but I think 16th C-ish
    [​IMG]

Cup with a possibly similar curve of the body just as an example.
    [​IMG]

9. Ownedbybear

Good examples. Those tall ones are still used for Portuguese wine, too.

PAS is this: https://finds.org.uk/

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

These particular tall bottles are nicely impressed Ober Selters Nassau. One even still has the foil/lead seal and liquid inside. Not uncommon but I like them.

Better view of the buff/beige clay color.
    [​IMG]

11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Mudlarking in the UK,looks like fun.

say_it_slowly and Bronwen like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

It’s wonderful, as is sometimes, just digging in gardens.

13. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

14. bosko69

So many of the Time Team finds,from Roman to Templar,etc-began with a few spades of garden turning.We're thinking about (health & world politics aside)-trying to spend more than a few weeks a year in the UK & Europe.

15. Ownedbybear

Google Lara Maiklem, she’s a guru

16. bosko69

Mudlarkers shoot her pics of finds-like a 15th Canterbury Pilgrim's bell !

say_it_slowly likes this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Niczn, on the little bluish broken bottle....on the bottom, I do see a small crouching cat s head partially behind the larger cat, to the left, the larger cat in front with the larger cat's front leg in front of the crouching cat, and behind the cat I see a horse head with a rein hanging to the right.....if that all makes sense.....NOW, that doesn't mean anyone else sees that, OR that I'm correct....just what I see, and not sure it helps any!!!! Might do better checking with local finds people!

IMG_6905-AA-1_00x.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Niczn likes this.
  18. Niczn

Niczn Member

Brilliant, thank you!

19. Niczn

Niczn Member

I see what you mean! Well, the cat at least, not so much the horse. Upon closer inspection it's hard to see it in reality, the camera / light distorts what is really there if that makes sense. Either way it's a fascinating observation! Thank you

Aquitaine likes this.
  20. Niczn

Niczn Member

What a wonderful and detailed comment, thank you so much for taking the time to respond! Especially with the large photos of similar examples and items. I believe what I found is very similar to your examples and I'll look into getting some more local input as well. Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted