Featured Small Asian? Clay Figurines - Any thoughts

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Aug 27, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I think these two small figurines are toys. They are 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches tall. My guess is that they represent characters in a story that I am not familiar with. I have looked and looked and can't find anything like them. I'm not even sure they are Asian. Does anyone recognize anything about them? They are unmarked. Please any help appreciated.

IMG_2708 (1).JPG IMG_2677 (1).JPG IMG_2694 (1).JPG IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2713 (1).JPG IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2693 (1).JPG IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2680 (1).JPG

Figtree3, Boland, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look like little Chinese girls. Not sure whether the posture means that they're too little to walk yet or something else.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. At least I am in the right continent. The posture is very particular. With the hands together and pointed. I'm not sure that is about just babies.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Sleeping bunny posture? Definitely interesting.

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I looked that up and I can see what you mean. This goes to the idea that they are characters from a tale, perhaps.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very cute, I love them.:)
    I agree, not babies. They look like they're swimming, possibly Chinese aquarium figures?
    They seem to be wearing crowns, maybe Chinese lotus crowns?
    Halfway down the page, the second picture under the caption "Lotus Crown" is the model worn by women:

https://www.chinafetching.com/tradition-of-china-hair-ornament

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    KikoBlueEyes, aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Great spotting about the hair style. I'll try that in a search. Interesting link and hair ornaments too. Not something that I would usually look for, but now I will.

The hole in the bottom is unglazed on the inner edges. I'm not sure but I think water in an aquarium might have stained them.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

How heavy are they? What comes to my mind are paper weights. Maybe to hold down the corners of paper when writing (Chinese) calligraphy?

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Great idea but they are light. You can see by the edge of the hole in the bottom that the casting is very thin, but thank you for the thoughts.

IMG_2717.JPG

kentworld likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They could be praying. Maybe little figures to put on a home altar? For perpetual prayer?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Interesting thought. The huge heads in relationship to the bodies is a mystery though. I get the poses but not the fantastical feel. I'll try praying altar pieces and see what I get. Thanks for keeping the ideas coming.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I'm seeing mostly fruit. The figures are of wise men and teachers.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted