Small Asian Knives

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shwikman, May 19, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Metalware may be a more accurate category, I wasn’t sure so I flipped a coin.

Not sure what to make of these. No other marking other than what’s seen in the photos. The two different styles are marked a little differently, both are steak knife sharp and fairly small, around 6” oal. The handles don’t “feel” or sound like synthetic(we call it mother of toilet seat in my industry). I suppose there could be a tang running through the handle making them seem more solid. They’re not tarnished like every other piece of silver/silver plate I’ve found in the house so far so I’m guessing they may be stainless?
    1F7F2AE1-BB09-4FE8-B998-28EDE61EE2EF.jpeg 8C2E1CC8-BE26-4D08-97F9-73B7B7D2FECC.jpeg 4DE34C64-5F39-4046-88CE-F4CDC27F1716.jpeg

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For starters, they don't look Asian, although I think you were probably going of the "scimitar" shape of the blades, right?

3. Shwikman

The marks look(ed) like Asian characters to me...now that I’m looking at them more.......not as much

4. Bakersgma

The marks are in Gothic font. Can you get a better focused image of the group of 5 marks on the second group of blades?

5. Shwikman

I don’t have them with me...this is the best I can do for now....sorry.
    C4DEF28A-9833-4005-8FF1-9CA10732FC15.jpeg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mother of pearl handles....desert knives..fruit knives...cheese knives... whatever...
    most likely plated with those markings..... i'm not seeing stainless..

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Shwikman like this.
  7. Shwikman

Very cool! Thank You!!
    Would it be helpful to add a clear photo of the marks? I’ll be back with them in a week or so.

kyratango likes this.
  8. komokwa

I don't think so.
    These were fairly common.....I had two cased sets I could barely sell at a yard sale.... so I doubt the maker if known would add any value to two unboxed half sets .......
    imo....

9. Shwikman

Gotcha, makes sense. Thank you again

kyratango, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Good chance the bolster is sterling, the blade probably not. Mother of pearl handle as stated.
    Fruit knives.
    Look closely on the flat area near the end of the bolster. You may find a mark.
    upload_2019-5-19_23-3-29.png

11. Shwikman

Will do....keep you posted and thank you.

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh and there is no full tang.
    The blade has a small rod that passes through the bolster into the handle. And not very far down.
    You often find these with broken MOP and the bolster and blade loose. Probably from trying to cut something too hard.

13. Shwikman

You know, now that you mention it I found some similarly constructed knives with synthetic handles that have off-gassed and delaminated exposing exactly what you’re describing construction wise.

14. komokwa

they look to wide and shiny for sterling.....and the pics don't show any marks...
    just sayin..

i need help likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If the "scimitar" ones are sharp, then cheese. If blunt, then butter. The other three, if sharp, are fruit. Collars might be silver, they often are, even unmarked.

Shwikman and i need help like this.
  17. Shwikman

They are sharp, I’ll look closer this weekend for a mark or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted