Featured Small Asian Tansu Chest (identification Please)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doug Ketcher, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Day All, I recently purchased this small, beautiful chest which was detailed to me as, "Asian Tansu Chest". It's 21 inches wide (w) x 15 deep (d) x 24.5 inches tall (h). Not sure as to type of wood, but the hinges and decorations appear to be brass and attached with rivets. Additionally, there are two drawers on the inside. I searched online and found several that resembled mine, but nothing exact. Additionally, is there a way I can determine if this is a real chest from decades ago or a facsimile made a couple years ago? Any insights into age and possible origin would be MUCH Appreciated! Thanks for looking!!! :) Vintage Small Asian Tansu Chest With Marble Top - 1.jpg Vintage Small Asian Tansu Chest With Marble Top - 2A.jpg Vintage Small Asian Tansu Chest With Marble Top - 3.jpg Vintage Small Asian Tansu Chest With Marble Top - 3A.jpg Chinese Chest CLOSE UP - 1.gif Chinese Chest CLOSE UP - 2.gif

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Doug.
    A tansu is a Japanese cabinet, originally a portable cabinet.
    Did the top come with it? Is it marble, or another type of stone? It may not be original, I've never seen a tansu with a stone top.

My guess is mid 20th century, but let's wait for the others.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would not call this a tansu, which is a Japanese multi-purpose cabinet. More like an altar cabinet. Looks to be Chinese and maybe elm. Agree with AJ that the top is probably not original. I do think this a bit older than many we see due to the intricate fittings. I am thinking more first 3rd of the 20th century, so a bit older than AJ's thoughts.

4. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for your info, AJ... It's a marble top that just sits on the top and I am guessing it was added to protect the top and use as an end table and throw a lamp on.

5. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for your insights, Brad... The cabinet is surprisingly light for it's size so the wood isn't very dense or heavy, so I am guessing "elm" is a very good suggestion. And thanks for detailing what a "tansu" is... Had not heard that term before I bought this. From what it seems to me, this was a much older cabinet that the owner added more recent pieces to like screws and the marble top which only makes sense if it was added to protect the top and use as an end table and throw a lamp on. Thanks Again, Brad!!!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the careful work on the brass hardware.....elegant designs...:happy:

7. Doug Ketcher

Agreed... I am just happy it was likely made in 1930s-1940s vs 2020s... :)

stracci and komokwa like this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I feel confident that this chest is Korean.

The marble top is weird and doesn't belong.
    I love it and I'm very jealous!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The mirror or butterfly matching grain on the doors (like the generous an' detailed brass-work) strike me as indicating high earlier craft. I like it, too!

Doug Ketcher and stracci like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could very well be. Sometimes hard to tell between Korean and Chinese. Being Korean, it may not be quite as old as I thought. They tended to be more ornate in later periods.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It crossed my mind, but as Brad said, it can be difficult, some styles overlap.
    I would take it off and use it as a top for a non-Asian sidetable.
    19th century Korean chests and cabinets can be very ornate too, some are almost entirely covered with brass.

Doug Ketcher, stracci and kyratango like this.
  12. Doug Ketcher

Agreed! Will use the marble top for something else. Will consider selling it when I get it cleaned up. If you are in the market, just let me now.. :)

stracci likes this.
  13. Doug Ketcher

Thanks! Nice craftsmanship for sure! :)

stracci likes this.
  14. Doug Ketcher

EXCELLENT discussions! Love reading all your thoughts and observations! Thank You All!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted