Featured Small Blue Candy Dish - Maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 19, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to buy another of these candy dishes even though they came in different colors and sizes. BUT they put four more out today and this one intrigued me, because it is almost translucent in some areas. I liked the color too. There are mold marks on the top of base, which may point to a newer, uninteresting piece, but I thought I would ask, so I can learn for the future. It is 6 inches tall, a little shorter than the similarly shaped Fenton dish that I put on the Finds Thread. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_5573.jpg IMG_5570.jpg IMG_5572.jpg IMG_5575.jpg IMG_5569.jpg

2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

it looks like there may be a siggy in the very center of the bottom. you may have to feel for it. My first impression was Fenton. But I could be wrong

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

not sure what Fenton called that color but it's their 9120 Fine Cut and Block comport

4. KikoBlueEyes

Ohhh. I didn't see that! I'll get my magnifier!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent! I can add this to my Fenton collection! I'm so excited. I'll look it up in the online catalogs!

6. KikoBlueEyes

Found it! I don't know what side is up. Thank you for this. New Information!

IMG_5579.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  7. KikoBlueEyes

A Fenton for sure. Olde Virginia Glass mark.

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Very cool! I'm glad I could help!

9. TallCakes

Hachiko and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. That's fascinating. I saw that this OVG line was an attempt by Fenton to reproduce Carnival Glass. Now it also looks like they went back in time to bring this design forward, but also to add their signature ruffle and to use one of their colors (which I'm still looking for). I very much appreciate you tracking this down and showing some examples. :):):):)

Hachiko, pearlsnblume and TallCakes like this.
  11. TallCakes

I find it difficult to differentiate some colors from online images due to varying light sources. This form is shown in Fenton's 1980 catalog in crystal along with other fine cut & block pieces. The same catalog also shows a selection of Fenton's 'Peking Blue', which seems to look like your color.
    various pieces as 'Peking Blue' from WP:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/inventor...=0&max=100&query=fenton+peking+blue&category=
    might also check catalogs at fentonfan.com

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for taking the time to look this up for me! I was flummoxed with all the variations on the color blue Fenton had and you are right it's very had to tell. I would have not thought this color, but now you pointed it out, I agree this is the color. As my photos show, it's different colors in different lights in person - A part of the Fenton magic, I suppose. I so appreciate your help.

pearlsnblume and TallCakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted