Featured Small Bone Box - Origin? Purpose?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 7, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is a great word!!!!!!!!!!!! - hebbedingetje. It is bigger than the box itself! ;);) I thought it might be a phoenix, but I am just starting to grasp all the Chinese symbols, so I was not sure. I thought the edge design was not Chinese in character or not what I am used to, so India or Nepal sounds good. I'll admire it for a while. I was hoping for older, but this is how I learn. Thank you very much.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A Useful Box for Putting Things In.

I've had several little boxes with that frame with a bow clasp, I suspect they're made in the gazillions. Some have had Limoges innards, others glass, you name it.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent information. I've noticed that you all and the continental component have access to different types of things than here in Southern California. The resale shop thought it was most excellent and slapped a high price on it. Thank you.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen those metal findings on boxes from China early and often; none of them were expensive. Think Christmas Tree Shops.

5. KikoBlueEyes

I always hope for the best, but accept my eye is not trained yet. Thanks

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Matchbox.:D

8. KikoBlueEyes

:):):):) I am bereft of other sizes. I will have to go out on the hunt and bring my measuring tape. I hope I don't get arrested for opening toothpick boxes. I will report back later.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Another search. . . And I was hoping to string more lights today. Oh well, what must be done - must be done. Will report back. Keep the lights on - this may take awhile.

10. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    Don't worry, you won't have to look at sizes of matches, it is not a match box.:D

11. KikoBlueEyes

I am so disappointed. I was hoping to find some tiny matches, so the box could have a purpose in life. The inside is so neglected looking, so I know no one has used it before, and what is the essence of box but to contain things. Is it really a box, if it has nothing in it? I will leave you to answer this metaphysical question, while I look for mini-matches.

12. Any Jewelry

I am an avid box collector and I can tell you, the essence of a box is to look pretty. You can also put 'stuff' in them, which is a good excuse for having them.
    I have one box (one of the Frisian carved boxes) which now houses small boxes, most of which contain nothing.:hilarious: They are just being boxes.
    @johnnycb09 also collects boxes, he can tell you, it is just about the box.:playful:

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Yes he does,and he also tucks things away in them then cant find anything !

14. KikoBlueEyes

My cats would disagree. All boxes must have cats in them even small boxes that can only hold a paw.

15. KikoBlueEyes

Ah ha. So you are an advocate of boxes without their insides being sullied by contents, since they hide things from you? I can't help it that you have misbehaving boxes. Send the naughty ones my way and your problem will be solved. :)

16. Any Jewelry

Ah, but then you get to open them, one by one, and enjoy the 'boxness' of them.:happy:

17. Any Jewelry

All cats love boxes, preferably the ones much smaller than they are. My former boyfriend and I had this running joke about my big Norwegian forest cat being able to works his way into a matchbox.:cat:

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

since the longhairs are usually half cat , half fur....they can get into tight spaces you wouldn't think they could ! LOL !!!!

19. KikoBlueEyes

I checked - no Norwegian Forest cats inside my box. They are big and beautiful, though, so I was hoping.:cat::cat:

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at least you checked !! :playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted