Small Chinese blue & white plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ratsy Brown, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

i have this small Chinese plate, 11.5cm diameter. The porcelain looks light blue rather than white.

Someone has made an offer much higher than i was expecting, and i am not sure if i should accept.

If you can tell me how old this little plate is i would be very grateful.
    Thanks

729F3E15-36D1-4DCB-A53E-A42C4F1322D0.jpeg 8673A74F-5DAF-49FC-AD4E-783821B2666D.jpeg

judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

yeah, that is a tricky one, its either got hardly any age, or some real good age

might be worth looking at the buyers buying selling history in the meantime ;)

what was the offer ?

3. Ratsy Brown

Offer is £350.

The plate also has two rim chips. Strange thing is i have only 3 watchers-compared to the 16 on another piece of Chinese porcelain listed at the same time.

Nothing on their ebay page. But they have spun me a story that they export their purchases to Vietnam where they have a huge collection on Chinese blue and white. They also sent over a load of photos.

Im considering counter offering £450. I cant find anything similar online.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

BS, Ratsy. I'm confused - are you considering buying this or selling?

5. charlie cheswick

he's selling it bakers

jeez, didnt realize the offer was that much !!

how many feedbacks have they got ?

judy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks, Charlie

7. Ratsy Brown

Im going to leave it to auction. Im in the UK, the buyer’s ebay account is in the States, he claims to have an address in London and ships out to his home in Vietnam. And he has a whole bunch of eBay feedback where he hasn’t paid.

Still interested in details on this plate if anyone can help!

8. charlie cheswick

Good job you checked mate, obviously a time waster, what pleasure they get out of it I do not understand

judy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea. The scholarly gentlemen are kind of cool. That "buyer" sounds like nothing but trouble; I'd block the non-paying blockhead before he can make trouble.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

And he has a whole bunch of eBay feedback where he hasn’t paid.

nuff said !!

kyratango, judy and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds a bit sketchy but you never know could be a real good customer. These situations are tricky. I tend to try to avoid them. How many non payer feedback? There could be certain legit reasons but once you get more than a few and it’s a pattern it’s best to move on probably. I got offered to end an auction recently for wayyyyy more than I thought the item would go for. I already had multiple bidders so didn’t do it even though the person making the offer was in the lead. What I did do was add to my item description and published how much I was being offered for the item. I did this to let other prospective buyers know much someone wanted it. I hoped this would increase bidding. In the end a different buyer bid just over the published amount and won the auction. So I got more than the offer and didn’t have to end my listing early. It was like 2-4x more than I expected. So I used the offer to my advantage but didn’t accept it.

12. Ratsy Brown

For those interested, the final sale price was £460 plus post/customs.

Excellent result, but a lot of hassle dealing with Chinese buyers.

Never got an answer on the age though.

13. charlie cheswick

Great result ratsy

I'm thinking of opening up auctions to the Asian market, but a lot of hassle in Chinese I can do without !

Interesting

kyratango and judy like this.
  14. evelyb30

I ship to China a lot, but lots of Chinese buyers have those US transshipper addresses. The ones who buy jewelry are usually a pretty happy bunch. I used to ship to Russians too, but not since Feb 24.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I just recently started international shipping. China by far being the biggest customer to this point. Knock on wood but no issues yet.

16. evelyb30

Lots of folks who "don't ship international" end up shipping international. Lots of Chinese buyers, and formerly lots of Russians, have trans-shipper/aggregator accounts with PO boxes in Delaware or Oregon. The US seller ships to one or the others, and the aggregator/trans-shipper sends everything the rest of the way. As long as you're not selling electronics you're probably good. I shipped to China long before the aggrators were even a Thing. Used to ship all over Europe too, but the bottom fell out a while ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted