Small Cloisonne Vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Jul 11, 2015.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hi, This vase is about 3 1/2 inches tall, and I'm pretty sure Japanese based on the red circle border, but it would be great if someone could confirm that for me. My question is about the one white circle in the red circle border on the bottom rim. it looks intentional, not like a mistake. Does it have any significance? Is this some kind of a maker's mark?

Thanks!

jcl1.JPG jcl2.JPG jcl3.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Could this be champleve and not cloisonne.

that could account for the missed color on the dot...

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I believe it is cloisonne. I can see wires and don't see any recessed areas.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

$2 item, 21st c, low quality, not collectible but ok for holding kitchen matches. I'm not writing this to insult u or yr item but your post kind of reads like you think this might be a long-lost treasure or something. Stuff like this comes to the U.S. In 55 gallon drums of 300 pieces per drum so do you really want to spend a lot of time trying to find out which Shanghai sweatshop made it way back in April 2015?

Yeah I know my bedside manner sucks but if you want to collect antiques stay away from junk like this.

Excellent photos, btw!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it's a long lost treasure I'm going to retire from, but I do think it is a vintage piece. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I was just curious about the white dot.

Perhaps I should have included a photos of the base and top rim, which help with assessment of age.

mjv4.JPG mjv5.JPG

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Patina on bottom is fake.

7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I do think it is a bit older, from around 1900. Neverheless it is low quality. It comes from Japan.
    Mat

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Komokwa, Mat thank you for your comments. Springfld, I also appreciate your time, though we definitely disagree on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted