Small Delfts Ginger Jar, more info puh-lease!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Jun 12, 2020.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Here I is again! Ginger jar stands 5" tall and is well-marked. Since we have a resident expert in this stuff, figured I'd ding @Any Jewelry and see what she will tell me about it. I mostly wonder about age and whether this is the better quality stuff or just real ordinary. DSCN0007.JPG DSCN0008.JPG DSCN0009.JPG DSCN0010.JPG

Thanks!

Linda

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can give you what it says in the book "Discovering Dutch Delftware" by Van Hook printed 1998 about the original Ram factory.

The upper word on your piece says handpainted I believe. Other than that, if I were guessing (which I am) I'd say this is a more modern piece. You'll notice that most of the mark is stamped on.

img20200613_080243.jpg

3. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Thanks s-i-s, that gives me a good date, likely 1935-1945 it would appear.

Linda

4. say_it_slowly

I'm not sure. They show the type of mark used during that time and it's quite different. If I had to guess (and I am) I'd say yours is newer and I'm wondering if someone has revived the name. You'll notice the original mark is entirely hand painted and has the head of a ram.

Of course I have no idea if they produced other lines.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The Ram plateelfactory finally closed in1969, it was owned by Hoyng at the time. They manufactured different styles, but according to my information they only manufactured 'Delfts' between 1921 and 1945.

The quality of Ram Delfts is always good. They were not located in Delft btw, but in Arnhem, in the east of the country.;)

say_it_slowly likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

AJ may I ask if you know if the Raam factory and the Ram factory were related. Van Hook seems to guess at the relationship and has Raam in Germany but it always struck me as odd that the mark he shows says Holland. Google translate tells me eertyds means honor so maybe as a tribute to?

I have a small jar with the Raam windmill mark and have wondered. (sorry to take the OP's question a bit off-track but it could be pertinent)

upload_2020-6-14_8-26-2.png

upload_2020-6-14_8-24-29.png

upload_2020-6-14_8-31-0.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The old stuff site says Ram closed in 1945, Raam started up and took over the molds and employees until closing in the early 1980s, but I don't know where he got this info. What you said already. He probably borrowed your Van Hook when you weren't looking.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sis, I had never even heard of Raam.:hilarious:
    The Dutch word ram means the same as in English, a male sheep. It is also used for the zodiac sign aries, which could be the connection in the case of Ram plateel.
    The Dutch word raam means window.:confused:

The word 'eer' can mean both honour and an indefinite period of time. The time refered to depends on a combination with other words.
    In the case of 'eertyds' or 'eertijds' it means from times past.
    'Eertyds Holland' could possibly refer to the fact that Raam used to be in Holland, but it is a rather German way of saying it, using Dutch words, but not in the right context. In proper Dutch it would be 'Voorheen Holland'.
    So I have my doubts.

I know that Hoyng, primarily a retailer, was the owner of Ram when the factory closed in 1969, but I seem to remember there were other owners between 1945 and when Hoyng took over.
    Hoyng used to sell Delfts blue, and I would think they would have had it made in their own factory, but that is just guessing.

I also find it very strange that a Dutch firm would move to Germany in 1945, when they were glad to see the back of the German occupiers. They certainly wouldn't have been able to sell anything in the Netherlands, because they would have been regarded as traitors.

I don't know if this helps at all, a Raam mark on a Delfts blue tea caddy. It has the name of a German painter and the German word 'handgemalt'. If the Ram Delfts workshop had continued in Germany using the name Raam, presumably they would have taken the Dutch painters with them.

[​IMG]
    https://www.theoldstuff.com/en/delfts/430-delfts-raam-tea-caddy

say_it_slowly likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

Very interesting. It seemed to me that Van Hook was just speculating on the origin of Raam as he didn't speak of it with assurance but I just couldn't figure out the "Holland" on the mark he shows. Perhaps he couldn't either and was trying to make some sense of it.

I don't speak German but Google translate didn't have a German to English or to Dutch translation for raam. shrug emoji smal purple.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted