Featured Small, Divided, Etched Crystal Bowl with Sterling Foot - Date

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 1, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This parting gift from the reseller evokes a time of lavish, fancy dining with a special piece for every purpose. I am hoping that the point in time and use can be discerned by my photos and description.
    The bowl is small at 3 3/4 inch high and 5 1/4 inches in diameter with the thick divider stopping well below the rim at 2 inches tall. It is thick, heavy crystal with a simple etched pattern of flowers and leaves. The only mark I could find was "Sterling" on the inside of the base.
    Is it for dipping? separating different spices? For ice on one side to keep something cool?
    What time period does it evoke. It is not overly ornate, but not simple either. Does anyone have any ideas?

IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0440.jpg IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0431.jpg IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0437.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you show a pic of the glass bottom?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

OMG I completely missed it. I was so expecting something on the silver. It's Heisey. You are so clever.
    IMG_0444.jpg IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

Any Jewelry, komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The H in a Diamond is a Heisey Mark. Heisey Glass but the etch and silver bottom were farmed out.

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The floral decoration is cut, not etched, just left gray instead of being polished. No. 1183 Revere was introduced in 1913, continued through the life of the company, till 1957. Your piece is a mayonnaise, round, two compartment, 5 ½". Both the cut decoration and the silver base were added by a different company.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Ah ha. So they were solely glass manufacturers. It is beautiful glass - thick, fluid, and heavy. Thank you.

i need help likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Your opening comments make this sound so heavenly. I have one of these bowls except the cutting is different. Mine doesn't evoke anything around here (lol), but it is very useful. The last time I used it to put olives in one side and sweet gherkins in the other side with little cocktail forks. I've also put 2 different salad dressings in it with sauce ladles. It's a handy bowl and I like that it has a sterling base.

I picked it up for a great price at an auction with the thought "oh no you don't get this bowl just to tear off the bottom for scrap!" Didn't think I really needed it, but now I'm glad I have it.

9. KikoBlueEyes

You are terrific! Exactly the information, I wanted to know. When I looked at the design more closely, I could see the tiny cuts. I just assumed etched. So this was a popular line, then, though I don't understand the mayonnaise bit. But then again, I am used to modern highly emulsified mayonnaise that doesn't separate, perhaps it has to do with homemade mayonnaise? Interesting that they farmed out the decoration. Again, my deep appreciation for your helping solve the mystery of this piece.

i need help likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

:) It is true, I engage in a romance with my finds. I love running my hands over well made glass. There is such tactile joy. I'm so glad you found many uses for yours and it has a place on your table. When @Cherryhill told me the name, I went a searching and found one with a wheat design. I suppose there are others.

i need help and patd8643 like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

You are such a Joy, kiko!:D

12. KikoBlueEyes

Well thank you! Pam.

i need help likes this.
  13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Just for general info many patterns combine both cutting and engraving. Copper wheel work is generally referred to as engraving. On this design the petals look as if they may have been done on the copper wheel, and other parts cut. See the Corning Museum for a good explanation:

https://libanswers.cmog.org/faq/264934

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Ce. Thanks for this information and the link. This knowledge will be very helpful as I look at pieces in the future.

15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

One more small point. Heisey did do cutting, engraving and etching. There are books dedicated to these processes by them. They also sold blanks to decorating houses for them to decorate and market as their products, such as your bowl, above. To the best of my knowledge they did not "farm out" wares to be finished.

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent clarification. This would ensure designs are consistent. Thank you very much.

Draft saved Draft deleted