Small glass compote with British registry mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Sep 5, 2019.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The parcel code isn't going to tell you anything important, so don't bother. But the other info you gleaned appears to be correct.

Remember that is when the design was registered, not the date the specific item was made.

i need help and UncleChuckTX like this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

Thank you. As I read a little more at the National Archives site, I realized that mark covered the design, not the date. At first, I was trying to imagine them changing out pieces in the mold every day to change the date. ha

dgbjwc, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That sure would be fun - not!

i need help likes this.
  6. UncleChuckTX

Thanks for finding that. I would have never guessed a sugar bowl (if correct).

https://sites.google.com/site/molwe...rs-designs-by-date/percival-vickers-1868-1869

I'll keep looking at that pattern. Now that I read the blurb, it mentions 2 comports, and shows a similar non-frosted piece it calls a "basin" (a term I am not familiar with).

i need help likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

“If correct” is an unknown, someone more familiar will be along I’m sure.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Might be a jelly compote instead of a sugar.

@Ownedbybear
    Do the English have pedestal sugar bowls?

i need help and UncleChuckTX like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. Think fancy set Victorian dinner table. The sugar might have been for strawberries or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted