Small Green Flower Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marie Forjan, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi Potties, I picked up this sweet little flower pot today and hope someone has an idea of the maker. Any help would be really appreciated.

It measures 4" tall, 4-1/4" across the opening and 3-1/8" across the foot.

Thanks so much!!!

GreenMldedFlrPotFt.jpg

GreenMldedFlrPotSide.jpg

GreenMldedFlrPotBtm.jpg

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

That color says McCoy to me, but I'm not a pottie, so I couldn't say for sure. I hope someone can identify it.

ETA: Second guessing my answer as I *think* McCoy pieces are usually marked.

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I have been helping someone with a collection of the small McCoy African Violet pots recently and they are well marked. I picked one up at a flea today and thought it was probably McCoy and was surprised to see that it said Morton or Morten on the bottom. This one screams McCoy with that color but I don't think it probably is.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The chips on the bottom seems to reveal red clay. All the McCoy I have or have seen, on which the clay is visible, was made of white clay. Did any of the Ohio potters use red?

5. Marie Forjan

The red seems to be from whatever colored the bottom and up the sides of the saucer. In areas where the glaze is thin, like on the rim, the clay does not appear to be red.

I will see what I can find on McCoy, I have had McCoy pieces that were not marked, especially the older pieces. I will also check Morton.

Thank you everyone :)

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you are looking at rust stains and not clay.

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. Bakersgma

I agree that a lot of it is rust, but are there not chips down to the clay at 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock?

judy likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

yes, but I think they are rust stained.

10. Bakersgma

Okay. And now that janetpjohn has found that Worthpoint listing, it probably doesn't matter anyway. ;)

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

I tried soap and water when I first got it and nothing happened. I will give it a cleaning with a Magic Eraser and see if it cleans up. Stay tuned :shame:

judy likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

OK, after 15 minutes of scrubbing with a Magic Eraser a lot of the stain is gone from the bottom, but not all. It did come off the unglazed clay on the foot and showed it to be white, not red clay.

I think I will leave the rest as is, I actually like the red creeping up on the foot of the pot. Plus, I scrubbed it and the red on the glaze didn’t budge.

I will research Brush and anything else in the link above.

Thank you everyone :)

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I just returned from a big McCoy auction outside Zanesville. If it is a McCoy pot it is undocumented and would be worth several hundred at least. Similar pots, though, were made by Shawnee, Morton, and others. I checked my Shawnee book and didn't see it there. I'll check my Morton book later tonight and scan my library to see if I can find any other likely suspects. Red clay would rule out McCoy but the water in areas of the Midwest is heavy in iron and I think that is what is causing the red we're seeing. A good toilet bowl cleaner that works on hard water stains should help clear it up. The bottom ring will probably never come back to buff color. I'd guess 1930's or 1940's. It's a lovely pot. If all else fails I would run it by the Facebook McCoy Pottery group or the American Pottery Identification page. If you're not on Facebook let me know and if it's okay I can post it for you.
    Don

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Barkeeper's Friend works really well on rust stains, too.

Figtree3, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  15. Marie Forjan

I will try both those cleaning suggestions, thank you :)

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've only recently become aware that Barkeeper's Friend will clean a lot of things that wouldn't budge with other cleaners.

Oh, and I love the flower pot!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted