Featured Small Green Pitcher; Majolica, or ? No Makers Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 24, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This is 4½" high, 2¾" mouth (either way!), 3½" foot; it weighs 12 oz. It's been thrown, judging by the interior bottom. The foot rim has been ground; it's dead flat. Capacity is ~6-7 oz, estimated.

UV takes the green background and interior to black, and severely mutes the design while allowing some color to remain.

What looks like '22' near the foot in pic 3 is a puzzle. It's underglaze, but it doesn't seem to be part of the design.

I have no memory about where or when I acquired it. Long ago though, I believe.

Is it Majolica? Does it ring any bells for any of you pottery scholars? Thanks for lookin'!

fullsizeoutput_9ae2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9ae1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ae0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9adf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9add.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9adc.jpeg

judy, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cute! And my favorite color and flowers!

3. wlwhittier

What are the flowers? I'm not well versed in posies.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A type of waterlily or a lotus. Pointed petals is more waterlily, but the lotus is depicted that way sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    judy, Bakersgma and wlwhittier like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Does anyone know Awaji ware? Just wondering out loud (so to speak).

judy and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Bakersgma

The 22 is movement in the water.

7. wlwhittier

Well, there are a very few other marks in the immediate vicinity, an' I considered that they may have all been produced by the potter to indicate motion on the surface...but similar are nowhere else! I'm not convinced, but will allow that possibility...sayitslowly mentions awaji, an' I don't have a good sense of that, tho' it sounds familiar. I'll snoop the stuff...but this pitcher isn't Asian, I'm pretty sure.
    Can it be categorically excluded from Majolica, or is that question still open?

8. Bakersgma

judy, say_it_slowly and wlwhittier like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

10. wlwhittier

Sure is a resemblance...especially the 2 on the right, last pic. I'm reconsidering my earlier comment.

judy likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

I was looking at the base of yours trying to decide if there was something sort of like a square chop mark under the reflection and I noted another possible area where there might be a signature too. ??? Does look a bit like a square impressed something.

Anyway, here it is rotated and edited. I have no idea if there is anything there or if they are just reflections or variations in the glaze. (I could probably see more in there that isn't really there if I tried;)).

upload_2022-7-25_7-26-56.png

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. wlwhittier

Thanks for the effort, but I've looked at the bottom carefully after seeing your photo-wizardry and can say with confidence there is nothing in either of those places.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Draft saved Draft deleted