Featured Small Jacket

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Shwikman, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

This was in an old family trunk. Some of the documents and items in the trunk go back a few generations. This garment is really small, I’m guessing for a child….I suppose if the sleeves were meant to be half length it could be for a very petite teen or extremely small woman.
    I’m hoping knowledgeable folks here may know about how old this is….I’ve got a boat load of photos and it would be neat to try to find a relative wearing this…but a date range would help quite a bit. Thanks So Much!
    F53B5083-A792-439D-9766-C13A669A2849.jpeg F94DFA74-6D9A-4F9A-98F9-4354E72F86E8.jpeg CA1E6645-5312-41FD-BAA5-C363BD96D832.jpeg 0E4ABBC4-E24B-435F-9C99-10765C9F4216.jpeg CA267B92-5AE3-4253-BCC7-48097928203B.jpeg

Cabrina, ola402, Born2it and 6 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Measurements would probably help. And remember that people used to be smaller than we are today.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's not that old.

This jacket came from my grandmother c1900:
    Jacket 1900.jpg

I think there are stylistic affinities.

Yours is obviously in much better condition.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just for the sake of accuracy... what you both show are bodices, not jackets. For many years, women's dresses were not one-piece as they mostly are now. A woman's "dress" was two pieces, a skirt and a bodice (and, of course, petticoat/s). Pity the matching skirts aren't available, they would have offered significant styling clues. I'm leaning toward early 1900s on OP's offering. That said, the majority of my knowledge in vintage fashion is really post-1940s. I'm sure others will come along soon who know way more than me! :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  5. Shwikman

Since I lack descriptive abilities in this area…Here’s a terrible sketch!!
    C8C2FC9A-04E4-4600-BB67-7472E05D6AA5.jpeg

6. Shwikman

Wow! Definitely similar! Thank You!

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Skirts had such a valuable volume of yardage in them, (particularly with the demands of covering hoops and bustles) they were usually remade into other garments when they went out of style. That's why we don't see too many of them today! Your bodice looks Edwardian to me.

Born2it, antidiem and bluumz like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I also don't think it was for a child, too severe. My grandmother could have worn that, she was very petite. I have a pair of antique heeled boots and stockings that are a size 5 narrow for a grown woman. I couldn't get my toe in one of them. Face it, we are all giant sized now, sometimes in a good way and sometimes not so much.

10. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! I could have (and would have!) gleefully worn either bodice when I was in high school or college. Approximately 1900, definitely. Note the loose gathering at the front waist, which provided the pigeon front so stylish at the time.

And luxe enough to thrill the girlish heart. The lace! The ribbons! Note the velvet trim fabric matches the fabric used to cover the buttons, the pleating on the front and shoulders (requires much more fabric to make!), the subtle texture pattern of the primary fabric, the blue and gold ribbons edging the cuffs, blue and gold ribbons *plus* velvet at the top of the lace and lace on net collar *and* at the shoulders - ! Be still my beating heart! <swoons>

ola402, bluumz, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  11. Born2it

Could be earlier, 1880’s, looking at the sleeves. Hard to be positive how the bodice actually fit. Around 1900 still seems likely.

Shwikman and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Yes, circa 1900 is probably accurate! The fabric is wonderful! It looks like wool and brown velvet! Sweet!

The waist measurement at 12" across (24" around) is appropriate for an adult of that era. That choice of fabric makes me think it was for an adult or at least a young lady. The skirt was probably wool with velvet trim also.

YES! The lace is darling! All machine - but very pleasing!
    What color was the ribbon UNDER the lace at the end of the sleeve originally? It kind of looks blue or green...

Charming! I hope you find the rest of it! or at least the photo! When you are looking at photos... use a magnifying glass! Especially helpful in identifying jewelry you might miss.

Have fun!
    Cheerio Leslie

13. Shwikman

Very Cool!! Thank You so much everyone for the info and comments. I’ll be sure to update/repost if I find a photo!

14. Born2it

May I share these pictures with a costuming/reinactor group I belong to? If so, could you tell me roughly where this beauty was found? I know they will want to know, as of course there are always regional variations in style.

Shwikman and komokwa like this.
  15. Shwikman

Sure!
    I found it clearing a relative’s house in San Francisco. That member of the family(who I think it likely belonged to)migrated from the Midwest around 1895-1900 I think, spending time up and down the California Coast….Sunnyvale, Pacific Grove and San Francisco I believe..before getting married and moving to Oregon to farm.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Born2it likes this.
  16. Born2it

E166DC30-0235-4943-95D1-340E4394A3F1.png
    My costumer group didn’t add much info, but very much enjoyed seeing this - thank you!

Shwikman likes this.
  17. Shwikman

That’s fantastic! Thank You for the follow up!
    I’ve since found some undershirts?(very sheer but it may be the age/condition) that we’re bundled up with the top. I’ll see if I can post some pics soon.

bluumz and Born2it like this.
  18. Born2it

Oooo, girly stuff or boy stuff? Either way I would love to see!

19. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

beautiful-can't get closer to an ancestor than that,almost like a conversation.think what you could chat about.i think about talking to my great gramps about Lincoln.

Born2it likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted