Featured Small Japanese ? Glass Disc

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 16, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

From the reseller's treasures comes this small glass disc. I am hoping someone will recognize what this is and where it comes from. It was presented a Japanese. It is 2 1/2 inches in diameter and a quarter inch wide. It is beveled along the bottom edge. Does it fit into something or is it a paperweight for a single sheet? I picked it out because it is interesting. Does anyone recognize what it is? I will be grateful for any thoughts or guesses, so I can track it down.

IMG_9735.JPG IMG_9733.JPG IMG_9727.JPG IMG_9730.JPG IMG_9731.JPG

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I've not seen one like this before, especially if Japanese. Tthey seem to have taken inspiration from Cenedese Aquarium Blocks which are very sought after.

3. KikoBlueEyes

I’ll have to look those up. Gasp such prices!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Chinoiserie likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's dichroic glass as a background and really nice. Not seen one similar, but I agree it's loosely aquarium in style. Those eyes do look a bit Japanese manga anime.

5. KikoBlueEyes

I'm sure it's not a one off. I'll try dichroic glass. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was getting nowhere.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I still can't find anything quite like it. I'm wondering if they thought Japan due to the fish looking a bit like shubunkins, most aquarium paperweight seem to be attributed to Italy. Quite a few I found have stickers to back this up, some have fish looking a little similar, but I can't find any with foiling like the piece you have.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Ce. Thank you so very much for doing all this research. Once you said Italian in your first comment, I found a myriad of fishes in every form imaginable. The gold is also reminiscent of Italian work. I think you are right. They called it Japanese because the fishes look Japanese style. I appreciate your calling out those Cenedese Aquarium Blocks because I wouldn't have given them a second look. It seems this is a mystery piece. Thank you for your efforts. Kiko

Chinoiserie, Figtree3 and Ce BCA like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Mystery solved by the Murano Glass Group. I was going to sell this piece because I need to make space and asked around at Paperweight Heaven for some ideas. Well Cristian Tagliapietra knew it right away. Dimitri Cimarosto (Murano) is the artist. Apparently, it's called Lume Glass, and it an ancient technique according to MuranoNet.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice that it has been solved, almost three years later. I love when people post updates to their query threads!

komokwa, Chinoiserie and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Me too. So generous with both their time and information.

Debora

11. KikoBlueEyes

We are all in this together. If I find out something that can help the other members, then I am paying back all the help I get and am grateful for.

Chinoiserie and Figtree3 like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I always read your posts with such interest and gratitude that you take your time to share information. I want to do my little part.

Chinoiserie and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a kind thing to say. I'm very touched. Thank you.

Debora

Chinoiserie and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted