Small Japanese ... jar? What to call this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not thinking huge value, might even be missing something like a lid. Smaller than a ginger jar and not exactly that shape, so maybe just for jewelry?

I assume the characters aren't a signature. What to call this? Thanks.

pot1.jpg pot2.jpg pot3.jpg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I wonder if the "writing" on the side of the jar actually "spells out" (pun intended) what it is meant to be used for. ;)

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Yes, was wondering about that, too! Maybe I could try for google image search of the characters.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I think just a little box or jar for whatever you want, and it is Chinese, not Japanese. I cannot read the inscription but on similar pieces it was always related to the beauty of the woman on the other side. It dates to the republic period, 1920s-30s...

5. Lucille.b

Thank you for taking a look, Mat. :)

Appreciate the help.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted