Small Japanese Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Oct 11, 2022.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I can use some help in identifying this vase. Midcentury? And what shade of blue would you say that is?

I checked Gotheborg. The mark is listed, but they put 1950s with a ?.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    20221010_173757 (1).jpg 20221010_173832.jpg 20221010_173848.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Colors as seen on a screen can be deceptive. On my computer, the color in the first photo is rather different from the color in the third photo. As you see it, which photo shows it more accurately?

judy, dude and charlie cheswick like this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I ran your picture through a color picker, and it came back as a shade of Cyan.

I never thought to try that before, and now I have go-to to figure out what color something is - very cool!

I used imagecolorpicker.com, and it gave me a hex #. Googled the hex number and it gave me this result: "The hexadecimal color code #2596be is a shade of cyan. In the RGB color model #2596be is comprised of 14.51% red, 58.82% green and 74.51% blue"

judy, dude, charlie cheswick and 3 others like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's interesting. Which picture did you use? The first or the third? Do both of them come out the same with the color picker, or do they differ? They look rather different to my eye, but perhaps to an electronic eye they are the same?

judy and dude like this.
  5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I don't think 1950s is too off the mark. I'd put it first half of 20th c just from the shape, but it could be later. Might find the mark on gotheborg.com

Figtree3, judy, dude and 1 other person like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Absolutely right fig

Think camera flash on 1st, without on other one

How long is a piece of string

Figtree3, judy and dude like this.
  7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

It depends on the lighting and background color. I'm in a low lit room now and it looks different than both pics--more purple in color.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  8. charlie cheswick

It's well worth knowing actual colour, on something like this so it's not a stupid question, just hard to tell from photos sometimes

dude likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

Pic with flash looks electric blue, but I reckon the other one is more of the right colour

67203fcec4740819f5bf393a504dba12.jpg

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I never thought the question was stupid. Just hard to pick one shade of blue in this case. If and when I sell an item through an online venue, I list pics in various lighting/backgrounds. This way buyers can see the shades and have no grounds to complain about inaccurate color descriptions. In the room I am currently in, lapiz lazuli seems closest. Ceylon works for me as a general description, though. Thanks all! I'm off to try to find more goodies! Be back on in 12 hrs or so.

Figtree3 and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I only tried the first picture. That would be a good experiment to try both. I have to get off my computer now, but I'll try that experiment later.

Figtree3 and dude like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted