Small metal can

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ericka Barbara, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Ericka Barbara

Ericka Barbara New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello! I inherited items from my grandfather who has recently passed away and had many of these small metal cans inside he boxes. There's nothing etched onto the surface, like a serial number or model. Does anyone know what this is or what it was used for?

Thanks!

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

My ol' man has one just like it, and I believe he has said it's an ollllld oil dispenser. Lots of tool experts here who will clarify.

Oh, and hola, and welcome to the Forums!

Edit - Talked to him on the phone... he wants it! :hilarious:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Oil can with a pump top is a possibly. There may be something missing from the spout. I'm thinking more of a blow torch of some kind???

--- Susan

Joshua Brown likes this.
  4. Ericka Barbara

So the pencil-shaped piece on top has a whole through it's length (as though a wire can be pushed through) and can be elevated up/down or slide closer/further from the edge. What would it be used for?

I have a few of these and they differ in sizes, but all have the same parts.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

I really have no experience with such an apparatus. I only suggested a blowtorch of some kind because blow torches have a contraption on top of a fuel can similar to this. The contraption is a pumping action. Your item seems to have a pumping thingy also. I suspect what looks like a spout is for a thick wick that runs down into kerosene resulting in some type of torch. That pencil shape on top probably had something attached to its back that supplied a type of gas or fuel that shot out through the point over the lighted wick creating a type of shooting flame - blowtorch. Now this is all the supposition of someone who knows very very very little about blowtorches. Do wait for those knowleable in vintage tools to chime in. It may be a day or 2 for the right person to show up for some only sign in on the weekends.

BTW, By The Way, welcome to the forums!

--- Susan

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

I have taken the liberty of brightening your pic in order to see the detzils better.

--- Susan

image.jpeg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If u r going to post any other items kindly avoid adverse lighting, get the light coming from behind camera. This object is very hard to see.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Joshua Brown likes this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

It could be an alcohol-fueled soldering torch, although I didn't find any just like it. Maybe this brand was never made or sold in the US, I've never seen one.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

My ol' man is home, took a look, and agrees... a torch...
    and...
    he still wants it!
    :hilarious:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  11. Ericka Barbara

Do you know what kind of torch? I've been googling and can't find anything like it with a spout and the pencil-shaped thing.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, please keep it pointed away from me!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

Joshua Brown likes this.