Small metal "tool" I'm trying to identify

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Bugwump, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Bugwump

Bugwump New Member

just joined the forum. Hi everyone! I have a small item from my wife's grandfather that I'm trying to identify. It's metal and has a piece of leather lacing tied around it although I'm not convinced that the leather is there for any good reason. Would love to find out what this is called and what it was used for! Thank you!

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Can we see under the disc?

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

A tamper for a tobacco pipe?
    (And welcome!)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Aquitaine, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bugwump

Bugwump New Member

Attached Files:

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bug, what are the dimensions, please?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bugwump

Bugwump New Member

3 3/8" long and the head is 5/8" wide

KingofThings likes this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm prone to agree with Steve: at that size, I would think it's a tobacco pipe tool.

I'd assume that the flat end would be used as a tamper, and the other end to scrape dottle from the pipe's bowl. Some might (?) even call it a pipe nail, since it's a pretty simple design.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's what it looks like !!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'm gonna make another suggestion-our biz gets a lot of nails in the parking lot since a carpet installer has their dumpsters in same lot, I've had to have truck tires patched many times, The service station guy who patches them uses a similar tool to insert a rawhide strip (looks just like the leather wrapped around the tool.). I wouldn't suggest this unless your tool had the leather on it, but it does. Btw one of my Xmas presents to Ms. Spring was a rolling magnet that looks like a small push lawnmower, so she can push that thing along to clear a path thru the lot instead of just getting angry at the carpet people (they could care less and make that clear every time someone's tire gets nailed.) I guess the tool was sold like that, with leather and maybe a set of pliers so you could plug your own tires when needed. I'm going to look for a kit like that, the service station gets $20. For a kid to use that tool on my tire for about 3 minutes.

And "dottle" is a new word for me, thanks, I'll start using that vice some of the less dignified terms I now use for waste material expletives.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

For less than $20 you can get that tool and a box of 50 plugs, Spring. A $1000 value!

But this is not that tool and leather is not the plug material.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  12. KingofThings

That's under???

13. KingofThings

Those usually have a point and a hooked cut away side to accept and release the sealing strip.

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and i watched once ....on my tire...as after the strip was inserted....the guy lit it ...to seal the repair with with an outside burn.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

Yep. Some just cut it and some burn it.

Draft saved Draft deleted