Featured Small Native American Seedpot

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by kraftblue, Sep 15, 2018.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked this up at a sale. Stands about 2" tall and5/8" across the opening. The base says Redeye and on the side in small letters it says NOTAY? Can anyone help with this?
    ind1.JPG ind2.JPG ind3.JPG ind4.JPG ind5.JPG

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

"notah"

Search Juan redeye notah

3. kraftblue

Thanks Scout!

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@scoutshouse , do you know more about this type of pottery? I have not encountered it before. It looks like commercially made ware, painted by someone who may be able to call himself an "Indian". Is Juan Redeye an actual person, or is it a trademark?

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. scoutshouse

It probably is a real person, but don't know if he made any studio pottery, I really don't know much about him sorry.

Christmasjoy, judy and 2manybooks like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I've seen this "Redeye" pottery for sale for several years, but have not been able to find out much about it. It appears to be made by one of the factories in the Southwest that produces gift items for the tourist trade. There are several, including Ute Mountain, Mesa Verde, Cedar Mesa, Kopa, Hozoni, Teissedre, and Desert Pueblo Pottery. None is owned by Native Americans, and there is no tribal affiliation connected with their products, although some do hire Native American workers to decorate the pots. (And most of those companies include a number on the bottom, like this, indicating the mold number or pattern line.)

A few of the Redeye pots have stickers saying "Handpainted Pottery by Arizona Artists, Tempe." Some have "Juan Redeye," or "Redeye" on the bottom, some "Notah" on the painted scene. Notah is a Navajo name (ie. golfer Notah Begay), but Redeye is not. There is no "R" in the Navajo alphabet.

The pottery is often listed on line as "Native American," with no tribal affiliation, or a wild guess that it's Navajo, which I'm pretty sure can't be proven. Most legitimate Native American potters know the importance of including their tribal affiliation, so unless someone comes up with a definite identification, I'd say Juan Redeye is not a real tribal member, and the pottery can't be sold as Native American.

7. scoutshouse

BAM, @Taupou!

No "r" in Navajo alphabet.

Thank you!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. kraftblue

Thanks Everyone for the help!

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted