Small Paper Mache RUSSIAN DOLLS Info?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Studio Antiques, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Hey guys, we have these three small Russian dolls. They measure about 3.5"-4" tall. They are handcrafted, made of paper mache & hand painted. They have small stickers with some Russian words on them, maybe signatures / names for the pieces? We would like to know what these dolls are called / if anyone can make out the words on the bottom.

The one to the far left looks as though it might fit into something?

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_5728.JPG IMG_5729.JPG IMG_5727.JPG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    cxgirl likes this.
  2. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Stickers with words tell about nationalities of the girls inhabited Russian Federation. The one on the left is Kyrgyz, in the middle is Karelo-Finnish, on the right is Russian. The one on the left has nothing to do with fitting into something. It is her national costume that looks like that.

Figtree3, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! Do you have a certain name for these kinds of dolls or anything like that... any way to classify them?

4. Natasha

I never saw this kind of dolls and do not know how to classify them. The only thing I can tell, they were made before 1956, as Karelo-Finnish republic (middle girl) existed up to 1956.
    If you collect handcrafted dolls, I can show you Ukrainian wooden dolls below.
    PA310473.JPG

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They are charming,but look like they sat in a very busy kitchen for a few decades.I wonder if they can be cleaned without damaging the paint?

6. Natasha

Which dolls are you talking about? Russian or Ukrainian?

Draft saved Draft deleted