Small portrait prints- comments

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

DFB09EFD-041B-42C0-B185-5E20470F68CF.jpeg 9ECBC48A-D27A-42F5-A238-2964FA9A0E20.jpeg 9ABB32F8-E8E6-4BDB-BE75-220CD4B8901C.jpeg EBC0D24E-D2B1-41D3-A180-A579AB86A64A.jpeg 22B6ECEC-09A1-490B-BE98-6BD94BD7F4D5.jpeg Hi all,these are 2 small ‘prints’of well known portraits of some famous persons (I did some interesting reading about these ladies) The prints looks to be done on transparent almost “photographic’ paper (I don’t really know) Then accentuated with real paint and texture details (Mrs Graham’s print) Not sure what this progress is called? They are also numbered.

The glass is also convex (which is cool) Iam thinking early 1900’s
    or so? Size is 7,5x 10 cm. Thank you for any comments

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    stracci and komokwa like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

'Fraid that snake one would NOT make it in my front door!!! I like to sleep WITHOUT dreaming!!!:hilarious::happy::jimlad: But the prints do look nice, and LOVE the frames!!!

Boland likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suppose they could be hand tinted B&W photo reproductions with detailing in heavier pigments.

They have a stencil-like appearance.

Aquitaine and Boland like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

In the original portrait she is also bare breasted (snake and all)

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response. I will do some more searching in that direction.. Interesting

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Mrs. Graham has one of those faces (in this representation) which was usually seen in 5&10 prints in highly ornate frames. And perhaps she is on something--look at her pupils!

8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha. We don’t have 5&10 stores but I do also think these are a ‘little’ older than the 5&10 store concept. Her eyes have been painted.

9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well actually just reading about the 5&10 store concept now. They were really started very many years ago (Interesting,I didn’t know)

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHA! They DO look SUPER dilated, but maybe because they've been painted too!!!

Boland likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think images a bit later. Those pencil-thin eyebrows on The Honorable Mrs. Graham are pure 1930s. (They were also fashionable in the 1920s but they were worn a bit lower.)

Debora

images.jpg

Boland likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting comment. Thank you Debora

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find......:happy:

Boland likes this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member