Featured Small Portrait...Time Period and Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by moontymes, Jul 1, 2020.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have acquired a small portrait, oil and gouache painted on card, about 5x7" roughly. It looks to be faintly signed along one of the edges but alas! I can't read it. The border that you see is all hand-painted and is part of the painting. The paper is a sturdy thick paper sort of like an old posterboard. Any ideas at all about the age or artist? Thanks. min2.jpg p3.jpg p6.jpg p8.jpg p9.jpg min6.jpg p8.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the simplicity of her hairstyle and the volume of her neckline, early Victorian I would think. Looks Continental.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  3. moontymes

Thanks so much for the reply.So mid 1800s then?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I would think. Let's see what others think.

Debora

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No one would paint in oils then highlight with gouache. I think you may have a print with a bit of gouache highlighting.

6. moontymes

blooey, I've looked at very closely under a loupe. It is 100% original, not a print. Perhaps what looks like white gouache is instead white oil paint, but it's most definitely original.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And I did play with looking for a signature.....very dark along the bottom....and extremely hard to manipulate lights & darks AND get the right contrast to see ........where are you seeing hints of the sig.....below center? Or generally one of the areas I've marked??? Because I think I'm seeing hints in all those areas.....

min2-edited.jpg

8. moontymes

Thanks for doing that Aquitaine, here is the best photo I could take of the signature. It's just kind of lining up along the edge. min7.jpg

9. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

I would say chromolithograph with highlights but I could be wrong I guess

blooey likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you haven't done so already, you might want to do a Google Images search to see if it comes up.

Debora

11. moontymes

Debora, I have already done that...it doesn't come up.

Debora likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted