Featured Small Spode handleless cups? 1495 vs. 1H95

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

These cups came in a box lot. They are 2 1/2" to the side edge & 2 1/2" across the top.

I could not find anything like it on Replacements. The handwritten number on the bottoms look like 1495 or possibly 1H95.

Does anybody recognize the pattern or what exactly they were used for?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Marzena, AntiqueAndy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Marzena, Mugzinnys, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. bercrystal

Thank you so much INH!!! :kiss::kiss::happy:

I would have never guess they were that old. :jawdrop::jawdrop:

Mine do have a some type of damage to the one side, but hopefully someone will want them to display. :D:D:D

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those are lovely. Picture them in Georgian candlelight, which is why all the gilding. Those handwritten Spode marks are seriously early.

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Would you mind if I snag and post on another forum? There is a poster there who is very knowledgeable about Spode and I’d like to find out why there are no handles. I’ve seen handle-less tea bowls, but not cans.

judy and i need help like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

They're coffee cans, not tea. Early ones were sans handle.

judy, i need help and kentworld like this.
  8. bercrystal

Feel free to snag them away & if you need any others just let me know.

9. bercrystal

So they would be considered a type of demitasse cup?

10. kentworld

I will post to the other group and get back if there’s anything to add. Tea bowls I have seen, but not the coffee cans, and yeah, they would be demitasse size these days, but in those days, I dunno what the usual size was

11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

"Civilized" comes to mind..............

judy, kentworld and SBSVC like this.
  12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

This is probably completely off-topic, but the size & shape of these Spode coffee cans reminded me of something I have had for many years.

The set I have is packed away in one of my many bins of silver stuff, so I can't put my hands on it right now, but I did locate some old photos in one of my files.

The silver is German 800; the "can" is about the same size as the Spode ones Peggy has:
    img0 (14).jpg img0 (11).jpg img0 (13).jpg

The Spode "cans" are obviously more ornate & much nicer, but is there any chance they had holders of some sort?

13. bercrystal

Two thoughts on these having some type of holders. First the holder portion would hide the beautiful design, but two that might explain the damaged spot in the exact same spot on both pieces.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mansons,
    Be careful using the world civilized. On my first trip to Denmark I was sitting in a friends apartment and his sister, BIL and daughter were visiting, we were sitting around drinking wine. I said this is so civilized. The Danes all jumped up and looked shocked. It seems that the word civilized as I used it meant that it was not civilized but meant that I said that they were lower and animals. I quickly apologized and thinks quietly returned to normal.
    greg

pearlsnblume and Mugzinnys like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

They definitely didn't have holders.

Demitasse: a much later term for coffee cups. When these Spode ones were made, coffee was expensive and wildly fashionable. So, the demi monde had delightful delicate little cans.

i need help, Mugzinnys and SBSVC like this.
  16. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

beautiful

i need help likes this.
  17. bercrystal

Thak you so much!! :kiss::kiss:

We will know next Sunday night if anybody has to have these cans. :D:D

Fingers crossed there are at least 3 or 4 that one them very badly!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

i need help likes this.
  18. kentworld

Are they listed on eBay now, Bercrystal?

i need help likes this.
  19. bercrystal

SBSVC, i need help and kentworld like this.
  20. kentworld

The info I got from the other forum is that the cans once had handles, but broke at some point, so the handles were ground off and the cans repainted in those areas. These would’ve been expensive items and deemed worthy of repair. It is such a pretty pattern.

Bakersgma, i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted