Small Sylvac adorable pottery planter, Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I was thinking mid century? Any thoughts. it is 47" tall x 4 1/2" wide.
    Mikey

atree 23364.jpg
    atree 23363.jpg
    atree 23366.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I've only had the 1950s Japan ones, so this one made in England may be older. It's very well marked, I would guess Sylvac is the original and the black and white ones with a red collar around the scottie dog could be newer copies.

3. antidiem

The mold cast on this is very clean. It looks like "SylvaC" on second glance...

4. 916Bulldogs123

That's very good news.

5. 916Bulldogs123

They made them in different color variations. Show me yours.

6. antidiem

Inexpensively, I have sold every one I've ever found - at my own garage sales!

None of mine were as high quality as yours. Mine were Japanese copies with nothing on the bottom. Think they were sold in TG&Y and other five and dime stores as a small ashtray. The eyes were painted in with black paint too.

7. antidiem

8. antidiem

And, I have also seen the collar painted in red.

9. 916Bulldogs123

10. antidiem

1940s is very likely. btw : the one in the link is not mine. I sold all of mine. I hope!:rolleyes::smuggrin:

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'll go fish the books out, Not 1940s, we weren't doing much in the way of pottery. ;) I think this one was early 50s, from memory.

antidiem likes this.
  12. 916Bulldogs123

I can wait to find out. I'll need to wash it again somehow it got all slobbery. Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted