Featured Small table with lockable drawer

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by BoudiccaJones, Apr 27, 2020.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

(I saw this outside a charity shop a few years ago,I gave them a £ to stop them throwing it out, it did look sorry for itself but that's no barrier to living in my house :D :D ... there is a bit of veneer missing and the drawer has split into half but it's served me well )

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how old it maybe and if the type of table it is has has a name so I can search?
    Don't think it's particularly old or well made. Just curious xx

Many thanks everyone. I have more pics if anyone wants them.
    It's 18 inches across and 30 ish down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Inside of the drawer, please and also inside of where it slides in. And close up of the lock would be handy. And a top down one.

Odd little shape, that, it almost looks as though it was made up from other components, but I don't think it has.

I suspect it's older than you think. I also suspect it is for serving tea, with the drawer holding spoons and such.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is a cutie, Bou. I would have given it a loving home too.:)
    I'm with obb, it has age, a pretty antique imo.

4. Ownedbybear

I think it has a couple of centuries on it, or close.

5. Any Jewelry

I'm an amateur when it come to English furniture, would you think mid to late 18th?

6. BoudiccaJones

Thanks my friends xxx
    (The top is just a top,my pics ar misleading I think,sorry.It doesn't come down or fold )
    This next pic is the inside of the drawer,I am pretty sure the drawer was one piece that spilt. It's also come apart from the drawer sides. (I kept them safe)
    [​IMG]
    This is the very top
    [​IMG]

This bit is the middle bit
    [​IMG]
    Lock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

OMG I HOPE SO:O THAT WOULD BE BEYOND CITING MRS B <3 xxxx

8. BoudiccaJones

:O:eek::O I HOPE SO MY AJ!!!!

9. Any Jewelry

Not promising anything, I am an amateur in this field.:playful:

10. BoudiccaJones

May as well stick all my pics here now xxx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BoudiccaJones

Just a possibility is good enuf for me xxx

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Nice! And very nice photography too.

i need help, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

I AM HAVING A GOOD DAY!!! Thank you AJ xx

edit spelling!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Bronwen, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Earlier: 1820s or 30s. Thick hand cut front to that drawer, mahogany as I think are the legs. Good old lock, too. Top looks right, too. Can you turn it upside down for me?

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. BoudiccaJones

Thank you so so much...it's been put away in its little corner now but can get it out tomorrow? xxx

(I have my Granddad's ole cupboard too in the shed...I think he may have made it himself. I want to try and get it out tomorrow too and take pics of that as well...he used to call it a pastry table,it has some enameling type stuff on the top. My Grandad was always making something so he may have just put it together. Needs a wash but can't bear to paint it . I got it out of the old Black Swan in Hay on Wye when they died xx)
    SO glad I picked this little table up. I couldn't bear to see it thrown out. I have too much stuff but it managed to find its way into my little Golf and I've used it for three or so years xxx
    THANK YOU xxxXXXxxx

Bronwen, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

I'd have grabbed it too.. Nice little thing and far too good to junk. I'd love to see the cupboard.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I can see where the assembler of the drawer marked it for accuracy, looks like he used a razor knife to fit in the dovetail. Looks all hand fitted, and I like to look of the style, very slick for an old piece.

BoudiccaJones, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@James Conrad, care to chime in, since this DOES look nice and interesting!!

19. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

That little lamb's tongue (or what-have-you) on the knees is quite charming. And I would wager 18th century as well. But me too, better versed in American styles.

20. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

I think it's a lady's sewing table. Not for a sewing machine, for hand embroideries, etc. The drawer had a lock because needles especially were an expensive commodity in previous centuries, very attractive to pilfer by servants and visitors to the house. The age of yours could be anytime in the last 150-200 years. Most likely mid-to-late 1800s.

I inherited mine through the family. It's in a style called Gustavian which is somewhat comparable to Louis XVI. It's fruitwood and dates to approx. 1820. Yes, I know that Louis 16th didn't live then but the Swedes were slow in changing styles back then. Gustavian was named for the Swedish king Gustav III (murdered at his own ball, 'nother story).

My table can be opened by lifting the top up and stood against the back so all the little compartments are accessible at the same time. The drawer can also be pulled out. It has to be unlocked to do either.

I don't know who made it, no signatures anywhere. It'll stay in the family, be passed on.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted