Small unknown tool

Discussion in 'Tools' started by JanieB, Apr 12, 2023.

1. JanieB

JanieB Member

Hi everyone,
    I do hope you can help please. I have found a very small tool in my late Dad's toolbox and I was wondering whether anyone here can possibly tell me what it would have been for please? It has an imprint of Benford inside one handle and the number 5 on the other. It's very small, measuring just 3.5 inches long. Any information would be great - I know absolutely nothing about tools so I hope this isn't too daft a question! Thanks very much, Jane.

small tool1.jpg

small tool5.jpg

small tool3.jpg

small tool4.jpg

Attached Files:

Michael77 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

While I've never seen a pair this small, it looks like a pair of nail pullers/nippers. I have a few larger pair.

The operation of the tool: You grip the head of a nail, then with the jaws of the tool on the surface, you rotate the handle in the direction of the curved jaw downward for leverage as you pry the nail out. Of course, you can just grip and pull on some applications. You can also use them to 'nip' the head of the nail off if needed, although these look pretty blunt from the pics.

You're not going to use these to pull out anything large or long. More like tacks/brads, etc.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Michael77, komokwa, crowleys and 4 others like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Good ID, Rayo!

Rayo56, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. JanieB

JanieB Member

Hi both,

Thank you so much for your really quick replies. I couldn't see anything like them online - I guess I was searching the wrong words!

My great grandfather was a watchmaker - I wonder whether he maybe used them then? I'm not sure how old they might be - could either of you hazard a guess? I did wonder about pulling tacks etc because of the shape, but the fact that the others are identified as jewelers nippers explains why they're so tiny and the things they were pulling out were delicate and small no doubt. Now I have instructions I'll have to give them a try :)

They're really tactile things - a lovely old design.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Jane

6. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Wish I'd been here earlier! I just love it when I am able to recognize a mystery object!! I used to own one of those; I used it to pull old nails from antique picture frames. :)

Rayo56, sabre123, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. JanieB

JanieB Member

Thanks Silverbell - this looks like the perfect little tool for that job!

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The cabin boy
    the cabin boy,
    the dirty little 'nipper'.
    he stuffed his..........

ahh, it's an old verse from......away , away, with Fife and drum.....

:happy::happy::happy::beaver::beaver::beaver::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

These are called 'end cutters', and come in many sizes. Small ones like these would be most likely used for cutting small brass nails and wire for jewellery etc. I have several pairs, and the largest will cut 1/4" (6mm) iron rivets effortlessly.

komokwa, JanieB, 2manybooks and 3 others like this.
  10. JanieB

JanieB Member

Hi, Thank you - that's great information. I guess I'll never know what my family actually used them for but they always mended everything rather than buy new, so I bet these end cutters were well used!

the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted