Small Wild Game Plates Made in Bavaria

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chiquita, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Hello all!

Needing some help identifying these little plates featuring wild game. Plates are about 3 inches. Front has a signature for a Bad Cole. Any idea on when they were made? Below is a picture of one front and back. Searched the web but didn't find these same ones. Thanks all

Chiquita 92F6138A-2839-4360-97D8-5747AE5EEFA1.jpeg 4986246C-488E-4FF6-861A-F6F8D0564015.jpeg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think it says in German “bad töle” which google translate tells me means “bath oils.” Seeems like Floss is the manufacturer, and from the look of it 1960s maybe.

judy, Chiquita and i need help like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bad Tölz.
    Floss is a town near the Czech border.
    didn't find anything for FM, but could simply mean Flösser Manufaktur. or it's Müller Porzellan ?

kentworld, judy, Chiquita and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a souvenir plate from Bad Tölz, in Bavaria, southern Germany.
    Bad does mean bath, but is part of the names of many German Spa towns. Just like the city of Bath in England.
    Tölz or Töle does not mean oils, it is just google translate trying to fool you, their favourite pastime.;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    kentworld, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  5. Chiquita

Thank you

6. Chiquita

Thank you

judy likes this.
  7. Chiquita

Thank you

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Funny....I went for the bird type. It looks like some sort of grouse or capercaillie. Black grouse?

Chiquita, judy and i need help like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a capercaillie, Auerhuhn in German.
    I was surprised to see it described as wild game, to me it is wildlife.:)

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the posture shown is often used for crests and then called Birkhahn. here an example from the north of the Black Forest where you can still see them when walking through the forests; very shy and today a protected species.
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreis_Freudenstadt

11. Chiquita

I write wild game. Did not know how else to describe since I found a set of four at the thrift shop for a whopping $2.00. One plate has jack rabbits (or rabbits), one deer and another a wild pig or boar. I found someone selling a set on Etsy. I have two of the four they are selling (exact ones) but stamped in back with different company (Kaiser). Was this pretty typical? Mine are Floss FM.

12. Chiquita

Interesting and thank you. Didn't know what bird it was. Thought it was a turkey...but I have no clue

judy likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

are you sure it's jack rabbits ? because the Bavarians have a well known species of rabbits that are named Wolpertinger.

14. Chiquita

Ok. Sorry. Making up stuff again. I have know idea about jack rabbit. It's a rabbit

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. kentworld

I knew that bath oils wasn’t right! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

pearlsnblume, judy, Chiquita and 2 others like this.
  16. kentworld

Kaiser is a well-known German manufacturer. Never heard of Floss...

judy, Chiquita and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I knew you knew...:happy:

18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but if you leave out the Bad Tolz, when searching. Would these be customized from the wildlife plate and easier to find maybe?

judy, Chiquita and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I tried a bit around in German and it seems that it's really this Müller in Floss that does these collector plates. you have a good point though - it could well be that this company simply changed the town names for different tourist places. their main work seems to be publicity stuff, the usual items like plates, mugs etc.
    besides that Bad Tölz is rather known for its main place with the beautifully painted houses - and of course the Junkerschule of the SS, which they don't paint on plates anymore:hilarious::hilarious:

20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think at 3" these would coasters. I agree with no earlier than the 1960's. Seems like fruit decorated and game decorated items poured out of Germany around that time. Many of them of very good quality.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted