Featured Small wooden sewing box, it is 19th century?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Elen Beattie, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I picked this little cutie up today at a thrift store (only $3.99!). I think it is older but wanted to see what age you think it could be? When I first saw it I thought, how is this for jam?! Then I realised that it is a sewing box and likely someone's initials?:hilarious: Also if you could help me out with what the wood veneer (?) is, that would be wonderful too. It measures 7"L x 5"W x 4.25"H. Thanks as always! Image - 2022-09-11T151354.750.jpeg Image - 2022-09-11T151307.315.jpeg Image - 2022-09-11T151336.439.jpeg Image - 2022-09-11T151344.075.jpeg Image - 2022-09-11T151313.978.jpeg Image - 2022-09-11T151340.788.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone's initials but not original to the box. 1960s I'd think. (The pin cushion.)

Debora

3. Elen Beattie

Ahh, ok good to know- not original to the box, thanks!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, the current pin cushion appears to be a modern replacement. The lid would original have had a pin cushion. Similar to this one (which also appears to have newer covering.)

Debora

il_794xN.3137691891_ew3s.jpg

Born2it, Houseful and Elen Beattie like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Got it, thanks! Any idea what age the sewing box itself is?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone else will know better than I.

Debora

Elen Beattie likes this.
  7. Elen Beattie

Thank you! Anyone else know what age this little sewing box would be? Also is it considered to be Tunbridge ware or not?:)

8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Oh, how DARLING! I'd have picked it up for $3.99! What a keeper!

Born2it and Elen Beattie like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Walnut. With an ebony parquetry base border. Not really Tunbridge Ware as it doesn't have enough embellishment or a lid design. Mid 19th ish, or earlier, and I'm inclined to Georgian.

There's a word for that veneer patterning and I've forgotten it.

Lovely little thing, that.

johnnycb09, Born2it and Elen Beattie like this.
  10. Elen Beattie

Oh that's great info, thanks so much!

Ownedbybear likes this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Walnut burl?

Elen Beattie likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The centre panels are certainly burr walnut .

And crossbanded is the word I was looking for.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  13. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

You done good!

Elen Beattie likes this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful (and an 1840's price). These are the Thrift Stores I dream about (alas-no time machine). A micro-mosaic to replace the needle cushion with ...still very 'Bridgerton'. How many Jane Austen adaptations run in a 24 hr time span,more than the Kardasians ?

Elen Beattie likes this.
  15. Elen Beattie

Every so often you can tell that someone has donated contents of their antique booth to the thrift store- those are the exciting days when you think "What else is here today?!".

Born2it and bluumz like this.
  16. bosko69

All my old dependable independent Thrifts seem to be spending their time researching their free,donated junk on Ebay & Chairish.Might go back to Craigslist,Facebook MP and post wanted ads.Gasoline and foot-powered pickin's a dry hole in my town.
    A waste of time w/ my limited remaining lifespan.Although,after 50 years of picking,aside from Goodwill,I simply just can't just drive by a Thrift-addicted.

17. Elen Beattie

The thrift stores are definitely hit and miss, I seem to score on the things that have been overlooked and not as you say, the stuff that has been "researched" on Ebay by staff. I actually get most of my best stuff by buying online from auction houses. I use Liveauctionworld.com :)

18. bosko69

Thank you so much for the tip re Liveauctionworld.com.When my wife finally starts getting her pension (praise god !),I'll be able to fiscally get a little bolder-been reigning myself in w/ the spending cash (and lots,lots of house projects.Anyway-time to broaden my search sources,thanks again.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  19. Elen Beattie

Very welcome! I get most of my winnings shipped from the auction houses (the ones that are willing to do that that is). Just have to way up the cost of shipping when I buy things- still usually works out worth it!

20. bosko69

I do see some really beautiful items on Invaluable & Liveauctioneers-you definitely have to contact their recommended local packagers/shippers (in addition to the auction house premium) before bidding.Still some very tempting deals,and at least you're not out $10-20 in petrol.
    In my alternate universe,my doppelganger shops on 1stDibs & Chairish !

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted