Smaller of 2 Carboys in Excelsior Within Basketwork

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jun 13, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Quite a few large bubbles inna glass...but no pontil that I can discern from the neck (well enough aged into its packing that the glass cannot be easily removed for better inspection), nor any external markings or labels. The tooled lip is about 1 5/8" across, with a ~1 1/8" throat. It is ~16" deep inside the glass, ~15" across the basket rim, an' ~14 1/2" high to that rim.
    I'm hoping to hear from those of you with basket skills an approximate age for this thing, noting the coarse probably cedar excelsior an' what to my unschooled eye appear to be willow withes used for the body structure. The other one (in the storage locker) is maybe 30% larger, but obviously identical in other regards. Thanks for lookin'!

P1410584.jpeg P1410585.jpeg P1410586.jpeg P1410587.jpeg P1410588.jpeg P1410589.jpeg

charlie cheswick likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've seen similar in México with pontils and was told they were antique, used to ship wine from Spain and served as ship ballast during the voyage. Dunno if that's true.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Made to look like old shipping bottles. No clue if they were ever used or just made for decoration. They'd be great in a restaurant.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Often used for acid here. Glass making.

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted