Featured Smelling salts bottle?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by johnnycb09, May 1, 2020.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It ought to have a duty head on it, that may be what you're seeing.

i need help, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is it lined with glass?

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Johnny - I'm truly sorry, but keep coming back to this piece, trying to fight what my gut is telling me...

It appears to have proper Charles May 1890 silver hallmarks (CM, sideways anchor, q, lion passant), but they are a bit unclear, placed as they are in the design (which also looks 'wrong', more cast than worked), they should have remained fairly crisp since not subject to much wear, really, the metal just looks so thick and heavy in general. The 'gold' is very bright, and it appears to show some small chips exposing a white metal base; and it should have a glass liner with, originally, a glass stopper, and every piece (which on a typically constructed piece like this, would be the body, lid, collar, and base), should bear at least partial marks - this piece looks to be only two pieces, with the base just completely wrong, and it reminds me of costume jewelry, even the ring isn't quite right - typically, chatelaine scent bottles have two rings to keep the bottle upright, though the occasional piece will have only one, usually, butnot always, under the hinge (personally, suspect those few were 'adapted').

Believe your piece is a modern recast, started poking around to see what turned up, and suspect this is the origin of your item: https://www.etsy.com/listing/156827...e?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=anchored_listing

1928jewelryperfume-1.JPG

1928jewelryperfume-2.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  4. Ownedbybear

AHA! I was trying to think what that base reminded me of. 1928 Company!

5. DragonflyWink

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I thought this could be possible too, but didn't type it.

7. antidiem

I had not heard of this before.

8. DragonflyWink

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

By jove I think youve got it Cheryl ! Thank you SO much for all your research ! Of course Id have preffered it to be something other than what it appears to be , but thats all part of the game isnt it ? :) At least for a little while it was fun to think about . Thank you everyone for the input ,always appreciated .

Xristina, komokwa, sabre123 and 5 others like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

I used to go to their factory outlet store in Burbank. They also did the Oscar Berebi stuff, which I'm rather fond of.

komokwa, i need help and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. antidiem

Thanks, Cheryl, no, I didn't have enough money to buy jewelry during those decades, so I didn't look at much bling! ;)

Is it gold plated?

i need help likes this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Apparently,but the lead thing explains the weight of it for sure. Gold plated lead would be my summation.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Also used for perfume by Faberge in the past few years.

Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted