Smith and wesson Model 1 22 revolver

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jason Padavich, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Jason Padavich

Jason Padavich New Member

20210418_133131.jpg 20210418_133203.jpg 20210418_133054.jpg New here, only been in the antique world for about 3 years and learning every day. We own and operate an antiques store. My wife also buys estates, and we happened upon what my research has lead me to believe, is a s&w model 1 22 rim fire revolver from the 1860-1881 date. Can anyone help me positively ID it are a real one?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Can't identify something we can't see. Please post pictures.

3. Jason Padavich

I was trying to get them sized down enough to upload...lol

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

If the pics on your phone, try emailing them to yourself as size medium to resize for this site (1MB max).

5. Jason Padavich

I got a couple up there now...

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I did not notice any reproductions noted on the internet, just other period manufacturer's infringing on S&W patent. I am also, not a gun expert. ;)
    As a greenhorn, it looks good to me. :D

From what I have just read, you have a S&W Model 1 , 3rd issue., and were produced from 1868 through 1882 with serial numbers from 1 through approximately 131,000.

This site will provide an approximate shipping date based on the serial number...
    https://mikehelms.org/smith-and-wesson-model-1/

James.

PS: I know it's hard to get clear photos sometimes, but it would help.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    komokwa likes this.
  7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Seems like the "Factory" nickel plating is falling into disrepair? Caliber .22 yes, but .22 short, Long, and Long Rifle? Single action? Does it operate and fire? That will be the biggest selling points from just being a wall hanger.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Yes.... try modern smokeless ammo and watch the barrel blow up.

Firemandk likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like someone cleaned it to within an inch of it's life !
    single action..only.........and the long rifle is to big for this barrel.

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well we need the length of the "Cylinder" - the barrel can be any length! I don't have calipers in the house but I can measure the "Shorts at 11/16" - LR's are about an inch!

000_6185.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  12. Jason Padavich

I'm not sure about actually firing. There is a little play in the cylinder. Hammer cocks and the trigger pulls.

Rayo56 likes this.
  13. komokwa

yes, of course..........cylinder !!!:oops::oops:

Rayo56 likes this.
  14. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Guess you gotta find a Million Dollar Idiot to do the dirty work! LOL!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Firemandk, komokwa and Jason Padavich like this.
  15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I once had an 1888 German commission rifle I bought packed with cosmaline that had a post 1900 Turkish crest on it.... I swedged a bullet through the barrel and determined by mic-ing it had been re-grooved ( not re-bored) for post 1900 semi modern spitzer ammo ... That said , they had single locking lugs, and getting one of those bolts blown into your forehead will leave a mark or much worse . Bought some surplus Argentinian ammo , tied that rifle down to a tire and shot 30 rounds through it till I was relatively satisfied I wouldn't kill myself ( after removing the bolt and checking a well as I could . ) I kept it a bunch of years and must have shot 100 rounds through it . Would I use it now if i still had it ? maybe with my own loads or "cowboy" loads, but with modern ammo, heck no. I survived at 21 years of age my gun phase but I was relatively smart ..... no way I would do it these days.... at 59....

Russell Leiner and komokwa like this.
  16. Firemandk

Lord, I hope that was a modern repro black powder rifle .... Lord knows with "Chumley" ..... He's "Lucky" Rick tolerated him enough to let him work there.... I will give Rick credit for that ....

17. They load that flintlock with the tiniest amount of black powder to give flash, bang and smoke. All for show.

As for Chumlee's stupidity? At first I thought it was all for the show too. And I still think it is. The problem is all the trouble he seems to get himself into off the show doesn't leave the viewer with much confidence that he is much smarter than he portrays on the show.

Firemandk likes this.
  18. komokwa

he has his moments , like when he checked out a vintage sports shoe collection....or made silver rounds of the old man...;):happy:

Firemandk likes this.
  19. Firemandk

Yep, I think Old Chum has more money than common sense ......

Russell Leiner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted