Featured Smithsonian Article on Norval Morrisseau Forgeries

Discussion in 'Art' started by 2manybooks, Apr 1, 2024.

1. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Very interesting article. Apparently one of the largest art fraud schemes ever - possibly as many as 10,000 fake paintings.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very interesting....... a good conclusion to the years of back and forth online , discussing this very thing. !!

"Rybak determined that Voss hatched the plan around 1996, forging paintings and selling and consigning them before amassing a team to produce fakes across Ontario and Alberta."

So, mine, bought in a private sale in 1991...... said to be from 1975...... is looking much better these days !!;)...:happy::happy::happy:

2manybooks, cxgirl, all_fakes and 4 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Good read but wasn't expecting it to be so long. I sold a small Morrisseau many years ago and, now, wonder if it might have been a fake. Tried to see if I still had a pic in archive but no luck. I bought it at a local thrift store so had absolutely no provenance.

5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I found one of the saddest things is that he was victimized in part because he was a Canadian First Nations artist; the fakers were saying things like "he's Native and drinks a lot so he probably can't remember what he painted."

2manybooks, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's a link to a 2 hour ducumentary:

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

This one has provenance going back to 1973 IMG_0185.jpg

10. komokwa