Smokey blue votives...Scandinavian...Christmas Tree Shop?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cartoongirl, Jan 27, 2015.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

Hi! Smokey blue 'votive' candleholder, I think. 2 3/4" tall, 3 1/4" across the top. No marks.
    IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1006.JPG I've looked and looked to no avail. Thanks for any help!

cxgirl likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It looks like my Sandinavian Skole glasses. Are you sure it is a candleholder?
    greg

3. cartoongirl

Hi! No, not sure at all....what is a skole glass?

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, I think Scandinavian too but not finding anything. I think greg means Sklo glass. I like the colour on this.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sklo is Czech. I don't think votive, I do think Scandi. Let me ponder.

7. cartoongirl

Good morning! Sklo glass....I learn something new everyday!

cxgirl...thanks...yes, I love that site...I actually went through all of the Scandinavian and British glass categories...I did not 'check' Czech glass. I will look farther.

ownedbybear....each glass holds 4 ounces (I have 3 of these)...still not certain what to call these.

Thank you!

8. gregsglass

Hi,
    You must forgive greg, he has lost his mind. I spelled SKAL wrong. It is a drinking term you say when toasting someone. My Danish friend's father used to like to get me tippsy at dinner. 12 or more shots and I was over the rainbow. I was not refering to the Czech glass company Skol. Sorry about leading you down the wrong path.
    I should have said they remind me of my "skal" cordials used for drinking toasts.
    greg

9. cartoongirl

Hi greg...forgive you for what? I learned about Skol and other Czech glass, and since I still don't know what these are exactly, I'm going to use Skal glasses (as well as votive) in my listing title. It's all good!

10. gregsglass

Hi,
    Thanks. That is always a problem with me, I go on a site and get lost by being led to other sites and I can not get my real work done.
    greg

cartoongirl, cxgirl and dgbjwc like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think it might be a votive. Many Scandinavian glass companies only use stickers and once they are gone, you're out of luck.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The texture reminds me of Iittala glass which usually has a white sticker with a red letter i on it. I believe the company is from Finland.

13. cartoongirl

Hi! Bev...I'm leaning towards votive, also...but they would be useful as a small drink glass, too. Since I'm going to list them (I have 3) in Scandi glass, I'll put both in the title. Not expecting much $, but it's been fun discussing them with you all!

Mill Cove...I was thinking Iittala, too....it has their style and 'feel', if you know what I mean. I've sold quite a bit of Mid Century glass over the years, which is why I picked them up (50 cents each). I love MCM and Modernist, and that's what my eye usually focuses on when I'm out and about.

Yes, once those stickers are gone it can be hard to id.

I was going to list them last night, but pooped out after listing 8 items between ebay and etsy. Today's another day!

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The shape looks Iitala but the colour looks Holmegaard.

Draft saved Draft deleted